• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions Regarding how Buttonholes are Made

Thilgela

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been lurking SF for quite a long time and thanks to all the information posted here, I learned a lot. This is my very first thread as I can't seem to find an answer just by searching the forum, so let me know if anything is inappropriate.

I recently got my first MTM suit from a reputable company (around SF, MFA, etc.). I came to notice that, although the lapel buttonhole looks like to be hand-sewn (from the stitching in the back and in addition, the Milanese style), the buttonhole seems to be closed that need to be cut open. There is no basting threads as well.

My questions are:

1. Is the lapel buttonhole machine-sewn or hand-sewn?

2. If hand-sewn, why is it not cut open?

3. If machine-sewn, how did the Milanese buttonhole get sewn into the buttonhole? I assume the Milanese threads have to be sewn on when the buttonhole is open?

4. Is the buttonhole purposefully closed after the buttonhole is sewn/made?

I love the suit and have nothing against it. It's just the findings seem to contradict with what I have learned here. Thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss. Let me know your thoughts! Pics included below.

Front

front.jpg

Back:
back.jpg

Kerry Martin

Reaction score
I don't think so it is hand-sewn. As you said if machine-sewn, how did the Milanese buttonhole get sewn into the buttonhole? so, the answer is, there are various latest sewing machines have been invented which are sewn clothes in an accurate style which a man can't do from his own hands.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Very interesting. So currently there are machines that can even do Milanese buttonholes?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't look to be machine made. We make lapel buttonholes both ways, cut thru and not cut open. They look neater when not cut open. Would leave the decision to the client.

Specify with the maker you want it opened, they should be able to remake it.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Doesn't look to be machine made. We make lapel buttonholes both ways, cut thru and not cut open. They look neater when not cut open. Would leave the decision to the client.

Specify with the maker you want it opened, they should be able to remake it.

Thanks very much for the reply! The buttonhole is indeed partially open, like 1/3 of the entire buttonhole is open from the left point and I can see through it.

I don’t necessarily need it to be opened. It’s just interesting finding. So you think this is cut thru first, then hand-sewn then partially closed up at finishing?

Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads