• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions regarding a cabin bag / weekend bag

BlackTalon

Reaction score
Cross post from the quick question thread, as it may not be the best place for it (I was hoping more for a discussion than a quick answer).

Hi people,

Perhaps I could obtain a quick opinion regarding carry-on luggage for international flights? I have been searching for ages, and I believe I have found what I think is my grail bag: the Brunello Cucinelli leather weekender:

It was love at first sight, and I managed to get an awesome deal on Ebay to boot: $1400 for a NWT condition bag (retail $3000). Unfortunately, it struck me yesterday that there is a local retail shop for BC that recently opened where I lived. They didn't carry the full leather version, but had a similar model in cotton with leather accents. After handling the bag, I have a couple of concerns:

1. The cotton bag was pretty heavy... I imagine the full leather version will be more so. Does anyone find full leather bags to be a hassle to carry onto international flights? The published weight limit is 7kg, and I imagine the bag itself would take up 1/3 of the allowed weight. There is also the issue of lugging the heavy thing from terminal to terminal, etc.

2. The size. OMG this thing is big. 8 x 21.5 x 13.5 inches. The sales assistant confirmed that it is "carry-on legal", but it looks very substantial in person. I understand that such bags are designed as weekend bags, to accommodate a couple of days worth of clothes, toiletries, etc, but do you guys feel that it is too much to carry a book, sweater, ipad, and small camera plus some odds and ends onto the plane? I'm also wondering if the bag would look "softer" with time?

Thank you all for taking the time to read and weigh in. Have a nice day.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive used both a full grain leather and a cotton duffle (currently Killspencer) and honestly both are a pain ********** to carry.

i currently use them for car-trips. wouldnt want to lug anything like this around terminals be it train or plane. for that i wheel a cabin rollaboard

BlackTalon

Reaction score

ive used both a full grain leather and a cotton duffle (currently Killspencer) and honestly both are a pain ********** to carry.

i currently use them for car-trips. wouldnt want to lug anything like this around terminals be it train or plane. for that i wheel a cabin rollaboard

Do you feel the roller mechanism limits the space you have in the bag? I have a roller Tumi but I prefer something that will fit under the seat. I tend to take and put things into my bag regularly during the flight.

I hate to say this but those codura duffle bags seem ideal. Cheap, light, durable. Too bad they are so darn ugly.

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
I have an all leather weekend bag and I asked the manufacturer to put a removable strap on it for me. I always use the strap for flying and for car trips I alway use it without the strap.

Mine is a bit smaller than yours and I find it useful particularly when flying on smaller airplanes and when I cannot afford the possibility of having my Rimowa Cabin Multi-wheel checked. They are also quite handy when you need to carry something that is a bit of an odd shape.

Lastly you should be ready to let it get scratched up if you are going to put it in overhead bins.

If I could only have one carry on it would be the Rimowa, it's just so much easier to use and lighter weight...but if you can have both why not? There isn't one bag that can do everything (at least not one that looks good anyway).

BlackTalon

Reaction score

I have an all leather weekend bag and I asked the manufacturer to put a removable strap on it for me.  I always use the strap for flying and for car trips I alway use it without the strap.

Mine is a bit smaller than yours and I find it useful particularly when flying on smaller airplanes and when I cannot afford the possibility of having my Rimowa Cabin Multi-wheel checked.  They are also quite handy when you need to carry something that is a bit of an odd shape.

Lastly you should be ready to let it get scratched up if you are going to put it in overhead bins.

If I could only have one carry on it would be the Rimowa, it's just so much easier to use and lighter weight...but if you can have both why not?  There isn't one bag that can do everything (at least not one that looks good anyway).

Thanks for sharing your experience. How much smaller is your bag? Do you find it too heavy for travel?

I always stuff my bag under the seat, where it will probably incur its own share of scuffs. Well, it builds character, I hope.

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
Mine is 8 x 19 x 13 (not including the height of the handles).

Too heavy for travel? That is personal preference....obviously if you are doing a lot of walking on smooth surfaces a roller bag is always going to be better.

My family has a cabin that is only accessible by seaplane or boat and I always bring my leather travel bag because wheels are worthless.

For commercial air travel I will use it if the weather is cool. If it's hot out then roller bag all the way.

I for long trips I also bring it as I can set it on my larger roller bag.

I will normally have a pair of shoes, toiletries, an iPad and two days worth of clothes in the bag. I don't put mine under the seat as it is tall and structured.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That leather BC bag looks like it belongs with a roadster and a beautiful woman for long weekend drives into the country. I would be terrified of what TSA and flight crews would do to the bag, not to mention the hassle of carrying it long distances in the terminal. A rolling bag works better for air travel, but has its limitations if you need to walk with it for any distance outside of the airport. For international travel and longer domestic travel, I swear by the Osprey Porter 46 Travel Pack, which I wear on my back. It fits nicely into an airplane's overhead compartment. Not much to look at, but I'm generally not trying to make a style statement on vacation.

BlackTalon

Reaction score
That leather BC bag looks like it belongs with a roadster and a beautiful woman for long weekend drives into the country. I would be terrified of what TSA and flight crews would do to the bag, not to mention the hassle of carrying it long distances in the terminal. A rolling bag works better for air travel, but has its limitations if you need to walk with it for any distance outside of the airport. For international travel and longer domestic travel, I swear by the Osprey Porter 46 Travel Pack, which I wear on my back. It fits nicely into an airplane's overhead compartment. Not much to look at, but I'm generally not trying to make a style statement on vacation.

I will hand carry the bag exclusively. Unfortunately, living in Singapore means no long drives into the country without a long international flight first, which means the bag has to survive the plane journey. I do agree with you regarding the hassle of lugging a full leather bag around the airport, and this is actually one of my major concerns. I do have a nice Deuter backpack, Cote et Ciel backpack, and Tumi roller which I use for carry-on luggage, but am looking for something more stylish and elegant for THOSE trips that matter. I'm sure you know what I mean.

kankles

Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you saying that the BC will be your carryon AND you will not check any bags?

My carry on bag for international flights is bigger that that BC. For long trips, I also check my suitcase as I would not be able to get away with bringing both on the plane.

Lugging my bag around isn't really a problem. And I carry a lot of stuff in there. But my bag is light to start with.

BlackTalon

Reaction score
@kankles: thanks for the suggestions! The Tustings canvas bag looks pretty good actually. Definitely worth considering. Looks like there is consensus that leather bags are too heavy to start with and will be a chore to lug around. That's a shame, as I really like the looks of leather, but I guess if it is too heavy, it will just end up sitting on a shelf at home.

@ter: I will check in a roller suitcase for international trips. This BC will be my carry on. I will NEVER check in the BC and let TSA have their way with it :hide:

No problems lugging a bigger bag around? Is it a canvas or leather bag?

BlackTalon

Reaction score
Style wise, which would you guys choose? The BC, or this

Frank clegg duffle

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clegg. if it has a stiffened base to hold its form better than other bags that tend to go floppy if not fully stuffed

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
I like that the Clegg appears to have more structure than the BC.

BlackTalon

Reaction score
Well the BC has a hard base but I agree that the Clegg has more structure. Am seriously considering the Clegg as a more reasonably priced alternative. Totally different styles though... Duffle vs ?bowler bag?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads