• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about this sport coat... Critiques welcomed - pics included...

Bob01

Reaction score
Greetings All, I just picked up this Sport Coat the other week from (a random) tailor in Shanghai (30 bucks) - I didn't really have time to really take a look at it while at the tailor stall (had to catch a train). I'm thinking about taking it back to the tailor for some fixes tomorrow...well I suppose one fix...The shoulders where the sleeves connected shouldn't have a bump like that? This sport coat is made of linen. The photos have brightened and contrasts adjusted so it can be easier to see the details of the jacket.
Sport_Coat_Front.jpg
Sport_Coat_Back.jpg
The week before I picked this jacket up, I requested the shoulders to be brought in a little...It almost feels like (not too sure), the sleeves were brought up without shaving the shoulders/pads...would this be a reason for the bumps? Besides the arm holes being quite low (can't do much about those), the sleeves could also probably do better if they were slimmed in a bit as well? Thanks again everyone!

literasyme

Reaction score
The bumps are a fairly unsubtle roped shoulder. They are there by design, just a bit uncouth.

I actually think this is a pretty good fit, remarkable for $30. It's clean through the chest, and even the back looks OK. Doesn't look tight, so I suspect the vent just looks like it's flying open -- is it? Sleeves could be trimmed a touch, though the pitch looks OK -- and it's linen, so a slightly fuller arm might not be a bad thing.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks a little short, but overall, I'm very impressed. I like the roped shoulders too, though I normally do not.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you specified for a roped shoulder, they shouldn't be there for a sports coat.

Otherwise looking good. I would probably ask the tailor to fix the bunching at the back.

bullitt440

Reaction score
It is a bit short but otherwise it looks rather good considering what it cost.

Sir James

Reaction score
I beg to differ! I do not see how this is a good fitting jacket. It is too short and I do not believe that can be corrected. Nor does it fit in the back at the shoulders, as evident by the fabric folds. I do agree however, 30 bucks would have been a good price if the fit was good, but the jacket in my opinion does not fit.

literasyme

Reaction score
A fold-free back is very hard to achieve in my experience, so that would leave the vast majority of jackets ill-fitting by your standards. It is a little short by traditional measures, but fine from a more fashion-forward perspective.

Financier

Reaction score
Aren't all the kids wearing their sportsjacket's short these days? Other than that, the roped shoulders are out of control. But if those are to your taste, the jacket looks good.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, colour me impressed. I think it turned out quite well and I like the roped shoulder. Patch pocket was a good choice as well.

How are the armholes? I think it's fine to have a little excess fabric at the back across the shoulder blades for movement.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Yeah, colour me impressed. I think it turned out quite well and I like the roped shoulder. Patch pocket was a good choice as well. How are the armholes? I think it's fine to have a little excess fabric at the back across the shoulder blades for movement.
http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=7999 I am not sure how Desmond Merrion did it, but his jacket got no excess fabric (or very very little) across the back with no movement constrains. Except he charges 100x what Bob paid for.
tongue.gif
BTW, at US$30 I wouldn't complain too much. Great jacket.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Roping is an aesthetic choice, nothing more. It's fine on your sportcoat, if you like it. The length doesn't bother me either, from what I can see. Not sure how people are judging that -- looks like you're wearing your trou low. It's certainly not Thom Browne short.

For $30, it looks like quite the bargain. Better than some MTM/bespoke we've seen that cost much, much more.

inMongolia

Reaction score
Is it unlined? I recently had my tailor do an unlined jacket and it came out with the same ugly looking roping. All the other (lined) jackets she has done didn't have this problem. I wonder if the two are connected?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sir James
I beg to differ! I do not see how this is a good fitting jacket. It is too short and I do not believe that can be corrected. Nor does it fit in the back at the shoulders, as evident by the fabric folds. I do agree however, 30 bucks would have been a good price if the fit was good, but the jacket in my opinion does not fit.

Thats crazy! I think the jacket is great for $30. Roping is as mentioned aesthetic, and the length doesn't bother me. Even voxy likes his summer sportcoats and suits a bit shorter...works well with the patch pockets. I think if you try messing with the back to eliminate those "folds" you'll end up being uncomfortable and unable to move.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great bargain, and looks fine to me. I'd leave it as is and enjoy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads