• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about these AEs I acquired. Cordovan? Worth? Age? Mileage?

Cognacad

Reaction score
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ARE NOOB QUESTIONS. IF YOU BASH, PLEASE DO SO WITH HUMOR. I acquired some Allen Edmonds today from a used store and I know almost nothing about shoes. I like these ones, they are tight so I might sell them instead of keeping them, but I will wear them for a bit. They look durable!
laugh.gif
So I have three questions: 1. I have no idea how to tell if a pair of shoes is made of shell cordovan. I really doubt these are as there are no markings at all to identify them as such. Can anyone tell me? The inside of the shoe just says Allen Edmonds and MacNeil. 2. How much mileage would you say these have? They seem in very good shape to me! I think they still make these new. Still some years to go? 3. How much (very rough) are these worth? I guess that depends a lot on number 1! http://img227.imageshack.us/i/img0044br.jpg/ http://img201.imageshack.us/i/img0045ui.jpg/ http://img408.imageshack.us/i/img0046cl.jpg/ Thank you for your time wise-men
worship.gif
I think these are pretty standard AEs so these questions should be answered quickly and this thread can die in peace. EDIT: ****! This forum doesn't automatically size pictures? Think I would know that by now... I replaced pictures with links to them so the opening post isn't HUGE. I can put them again if it helps.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not shell, they look like Scotch grain calf skin, I'm not big on used shoes but they appear to be very lightly used. Retail is around $300, no idea what they are worth. If you like them and they fit, keep them. MacNeils are "long wing" wingtips, kind of old-fashioned. I have a pair in #8 shell and really like them.
Vox is Polynesian and does not wear shoes.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Excellent thank you everyone.

I am only 23 so these are a bit too old fashioned for me.... but I might just rock them out anyway to see how I like them. Will I be judged negatively? Haha.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
pictures make it hard to see much. Not cordovan for sure. Look like they're in ok shape. I'd guess you could sell them for about $100 give or take $20. Just a guess though. Keep in mind you can buy new in the box discontinued models for around $100-150.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Cool thanks.

Where could I get those discontinued models?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
Excellent thank you everyone.

I am only 23 so these are a bit too old fashioned for me.... but I might just rock them out anyway to see how I like them. Will I be judged negatively? Haha.

If you are worried about what others think, you may be on the wrong website. If you are worried about what we think, you are on the right website.
laugh.gif
But seriously, if you like them, rock them. If you don't, pass them on.

stipes

Reaction score
Decent AE longwings tend to go for between $70-100 on the 'bay, iirc.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not cordovan

Not that old

Not very good shape

Not worth that much

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads