• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about the proper fit of jeans

lsquare

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having a little trouble figuring out which size to get for my next pair of jeans. I was at Barneys trying out the Earnest Sewn Fulton 06 jeans. I tried on two sizes; 29W and 30W. The 29W fit perfectly and the only problem with this is that the area near my crotch is really tight. It was a bit uncomfortable sitting down with it. I decided to try the 30W and things were a bit better. There was a bit more space in my crotch area, but still not as much as I like. The problem now is that the fit around my waist isn't as good. I can still get through without wearing a belt though. Now, if I had bought the 29W and started washing it and wearing it, would it stretch to fit me more comfortably?

thisisme

Reaction score
get the 30s

the 29s might stretch out after extended periods without washing but when you wash them they'll shrink back to the size they originally were

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would buy the 29. Earnest Sewn jeans stretch ALOT. If you buy the 30, it will stretch to the point where you likely won't wear it again. The 29 will stretch a lot and shrink a bit when you wash it, but not to its original size.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, if jeans stretch and shrink back in the wash, they'll generally stretch right back out pretty quickly.

lowrey

Reaction score
agreed, I have a pair of fultons that fitted "ok" when I bought them, now they're too loose in the waist and I dont wear them. my suggestion is that always buy jeans that are very tight in the waist when trying them on, they'll loosen up. in raw jeans I buy ones that I can barely button.

lsquare

Reaction score
99% of the time I buy jeans with a waist size of 29 (I'm assuming the unit is in inches). When you guys say that the jeans will expand, are you also telling me that the area near my crotch will expand too? I just can't imagine that it'll expand enough to give my testicles the room it needs to survive, but I trust that you guys know this better than me. Like I said, the fit on my waist is perfect, just that I could use more room near my crotch.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Yup, definitely size down with ES. I can't wear mine anymore because they're just too big and stretch out too much. It sucks because they're really nice jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads