• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about "The Godfather"

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to revive a three year old thread, but watching GF1 this evening. My GF is cracking up since I know almost every line before they say it. (>50 viewings)
In any event, one thing that never made sense to me. In the wedding scene, Tom Hagen states that no Sicilian can refuse a request on his daughters wedding day. My question is this - why didnt Solozzo ask the Don for his political protection on his daughters wedding day instead of a few weeks/months after? :tounge:

How much time does the initial meeting with Solozzo take place after the wedding? It's possible that there was no plan then. Or, perhaps a plan had been in place, but the other Dons realized they needed the Don's political connections before they went ahead with it?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
considering solozzo was an fob trying to set up shop, it would be improbable that he'd be invited to the wedding. plus I don't even think bruno tattaglia, his partner, was even there in the wedding- only his dad philip and emilio barzini and the heads of the other families.

millionaire75

Reaction score
MC is showing the Godfather Saga this weekend. This is the chronological version which starts with the GF 2 flashbacks then moves forward. Also supposed to contain the deleted scenes mentioned on this thread.

DannyJman

Reaction score
Sonny was made an example... he was one hell of a cocky guy xD

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question. Tom Hagen - did Michael ever truly trust him? And if he didn't, why did he forgive him by not having him purged? Michael moved him around a lot after his father retired.

I always wondered if Robert Duvall had come to terms to star in the third film whether he would be on Michael's good or bad side.

Last edited:

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say. Michael has a funny relationship with Tom. He's usually not as warm to him. When Tom sees Michael at the wedding, Michael's first instinct is to shake his hand, while Tom goes in for the hug. I think there might even be some slight resentment towards Tom, since he would talk about Michael's future with Vito. Still, he kept him at a distance since Fredo, his own brother, betrayed him.

Benzito

Reaction score
Michael kept everyone at a distance. Which is odd, since he said Don Vito told him to keep his friends close, but his enemies closer.

The only person he let in was that Silician chick he married. And even she ditched him (with a little help from the car bomb).

Michael Corleone is a total enigma, like Richard Pryor's character in Brewster's Millions.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Michael thinks Tom, at best, as the person he can depend on in their move to vegas... but Tom is "not a wartime consiglieri"... I can only guess Michael partly blames Tom for Sonny's death or for not seeing the Solozzo deal for what it really was. Maybe its in the book- its been too long since I last read it. in the end of the 1st movie, you can see Tom had a change in role and took a direct participation in both Tessio's and Carlo's deaths.. maybe thats his way of making good with Michael. come to think of it, in part 2 he also had some 'issues' with Michael making Michael question his loyalty to the Corleone family... and in the end he was the one who met with Pantangeli and talked about the time of the Roman emperors where the traitors who get caught kills themselves.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Hagen was scheduled to be the 'bad guy' in Part 3. That is why there is so much tension and build-up of a Michael v. Tom battle in Parts 1 and 2. However, Duvall wanted to be paid more than the movie company was willing to pay for Part 3 (considering that he would've had much more screen time) and consequently the Michael v. Tom story didn't materialize in Part 3.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started reading the book last night. I got about 80 pages in before I had to go to bed. It's a good read.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Tom Hagen was scheduled to be the 'bad guy' in Part 3. That is why there is so much tension and build-up of a Michael v. Tom battle in Parts 1 and 2. However, Duvall wanted to be paid more than the movie company was willing to pay for Part 3 (considering that he would've had much more screen time) and consequently the Michael v. Tom story didn't materialize in Part 3.

so they said, "hey you know that tanned actor from 'zorro the gay blade', 'malibu' and 'love at first bite'? I bet he's gonna be a great replacement for duvall!"...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads