• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about shirt collars& pocket hanks

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you guys do when putting on a necktie...put the whole collar up/ neck buttoned/ tie the tie, THEN flip the whole collar back down, or another method? i have been doing it this way for a while, and it has always been a pain.

next question.....i always have my pocket linens pressed flat into the folded shape for my breast pocket of jackets, but every time i try wearing a pocket silk, it seems too bulky. have tried flusser's books, etc. for a method that is less bulky, but i can't help but think all of my pocket silks would be MUCH better if significantly smaller in size.

suggestions/ help?

ulf

Reaction score
If I wear a tie, which I only do if I absolutely have to, I generally flip the collar up and put the untied tie around my neck, flip the collar down and tie it.

Breast pocket hankies are definitely a thing of the past as far as I'm concerned. Practically a historical curiousity, much like pocket watches. Stuffy, but can be made interesting and fun at times.

If you do wear a hankie, it should only be ironed and later folded when and if you wear it. Prepressed hankies are just as bad as clip-on ties and pre-tied bowties, really.

Joe G

Reaction score
Ties: flip collar up, wrap tie around, flip collar down, tie tie. How will you know otherwise that the knot is sized appropriately to the collar?

Pocket squares: I never fold pocket squares sooner than the moment before they go into my pocket. And most of the time I don't do anything nearly so formal: I just kinda stuff it in there. As for being too bulky, it sounds to me like the problem is more with the suit than the square. When you had the jacket fitted, did you make sure to have a square (and everything else you normally wear) with you?

Peace,

JG

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flip collar, wrap tie, flip collar down, make knot, same as the previous answers. Years of wearing high school uniforms trained me to be able to do this in about 20 seconds flat, with about 80% success. Double windsor, windsor, 4 in hand (15 seconds).

davei

Reaction score

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
This comment may belong in a different thread, but has anyone else ever put little droplets of blood on their shirt collar after they have just shaved?

For linen squares, I have pretty much found a fold that I liked, then just moved the square from suit to suit. Squares live in the pockets in the closet when not in use.

I do agree that silk squares seem a bit too poofy in the pocket. I have considered trimming some of the silk squares I have. Because I don't usually show the edges of poofy squares, I suppose this could be a possibility.

Bic

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aha, bic hit the nail on the head. all of my silks are printed, and i would just as soon not show the edges. of all the silks i've seen, only charvet seems to be significantly smaller. my others, from makers like talbott and armani just seem too large to wad up, put in the pocket, yet not bulge the breast pocket....or could it be i'm too paranoid and it doesn't really bulge that much? i always carry my card holder-wallet in the inside left pocket, also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads