• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about Male Mannequin, please help

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking to buy a male mannequin, but not sure about what size to purchase. Most suits/sport coats that I came across in the past were from size 38 - 44 with a few exceptions that sizes were outside this range.

I spot a nice mannequin on eBay. It is Jersey Covered French form. The measurements stated by the seller are:
Bust: 40 "
Waist: 35.5"
Shoulder to Shoulder: 18"
Height: 29"

Is this a good size? I really appreciate any suggestions/comments from you. Thanks in advance.

Here is the listing

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arent they like expensive. Wouldn't one of those blow up dolls work well? One could inflate more for larger sizes and less for smaller.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Wouldn't one of those blow up dolls work well?

I think the blow up dolls you are referring to are used for a different purpose.

VMan hooked me up with a great place (storesupply.com I think) which delivered a size 38 mannequin to my house for about $70.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
VMan hooked me up with a great place (storesupply.com I think) which delivered a size 38 mannequin to my house for about $70.

Thanks, Ed. I like the one that I spotted. The price is certainly very competitive ($60 shipped). I believe most sellers just use one size for all. I am just not sure this is good size for "all". And my second question is whether a "Jersey Covered French form" is the one that most sellers use.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think the blow up dolls you are referring to are used for a different purpose.

I had heard of women having life size dolls in their cars cause they drive alone at night but just found this:

SNF0304MXX_265x360_348550a.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle261841.ece

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think 38 or 40 is a good size to get. Perfect fit is not the goal, you just want the shape to fill out so that it looks good. Anything larger than 40 and you will have problems putting smaller items on it.

btw for those that sell clothing, I think a torso mannequin is the way to go, if you have space to store it. I'm holding off on selling any more shirts and coats until I get one. I'm getting terrible prices without one.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
I am thinking to buy a male mannequin, but not sure about what size to purchase. Most suits/sport coats that I came across in the past were from size 38 - 44 with a few exceptions that sizes were outside this range.

I spot a nice mannequin on eBay. It is Jersey Covered French form. The measurements stated by the seller are:
Bust: 40 "
Waist: 35.5"
Shoulder to Shoulder: 18"
Height: 29"

Is this a good size? I really appreciate any suggestions/comments from you. Thanks in advance.

Here is the listing

I think you'll be fine with that. Mine is I think fractionally larger and I sometimes struggle to display 38 items well but it works for the majority of sizes. So I think you'll be fine with that one. The one I use is also covered in a washable jersey - I think that's a pretty standard thing.

I wouldn't pay more than about $50-ish for one, because they come up on eBay fairly regularly.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I think you'll be fine with that. Mine is I think fractionally larger and I sometimes struggle to display 38 items well but it works for the majority of sizes. So I think you'll be fine with that one. The one I use is also covered in a washable jersey - I think that's a pretty standard thing.

I wouldn't pay more than about $50-ish for one, because they come up on eBay fairly regularly.

Thank you Holdfast. Yes, I won't spend too much, but I think $60 is justifiable. I really like yours and the background pictures. Like a piece of art work.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
I really like yours and the background pictures. Like a piece of art work.

Given the bad lighting I usually have, I think mine tend be of the expressionistic school of art...
smile.gif

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to jump on this bandwagon too. As I do not plan to have a steady stream like the regulars, any suggestions for cheaper ones or alternates.

-

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should just be prepared to spend over $50 and get the real ones. I don't think the blow-up ones will help your sales much.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would pony up the extra $10 and get the one that Ed mentioned - it has a wooden base and top piece which looks more professional than the metal.

I also don't like to support sellers who jack up shipping rates and offer a low BIN price to dodge Ebay fees.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
I would pony up the extra $10 and get the one that Ed mentioned - it has a wooden base and top piece which looks more professional than the metal.

I also don't like to support sellers who jack up shipping rates and offer a low BIN price to dodge Ebay fees.

I used to feel this way. Then the ebay fees got higher, ebay acquired paypal and now take 8-9% of your total auction sale price + shipping and handling. Now I totally understand it and hate ebay with a passion it's outrageous fees.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not mad at the seller, all I care about is the total price. Ebay/paypal is really making a killing and they know it, one of the most profitable dot-coms ever (I've literally paid them thousands of dollars, I've never spent that much on any other dot com).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics