• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about C&J Monks on Ben Silver website

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what last these C&J Monkstraps are on the bensilver website?

http://bensilver.com/fs_storefront.a...y=1655&group=1

I'm not a fan of monkstraps at all, but couldn't help to want to buy these, and just might. $495 for handgrade shoes aren't that much more than PLAL (granted no free shipping unless someone knows of a code they wouldn't mind sharing).

I've only been fitted for the 337 last in bals, and wear a UK 9.5E. These monkstraps are a D, and I wear a US 11D. Is the sizing on Ben Silver for C&Js U.S. sizing? If so, are there any special sizing/fit issues when it comes to monkstraps that I should know about (whether they fit a bit wider, or may/may not be snugger than bals).

Otherwise I think I"ll be ordering size 11. Thanks for the help.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Pediwear it is the 324 last. They have it priced at 255 Pounds. Available in an E fitting 6-12 UK including half-sizes. Not sure where you are to tell if that is a better deal.

For what it's worth, I've been drooling over these shoes for ages. But they are just beyond my budget right now. I LOVE them.

bob

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
324 last huh? Could be the way the shoes are positioned on the BS website, but they looked a bit more chiseled, so I was hoping they were on the 337 last. I guess I can e-mail to verify.

But if the pediwear Chalfont's are E fitting, would that be equivalent to BS's D fitting, or are the shoes made for a different market, and therefore narrower than an UK E?

Edit: Other question, are these monks "handgrade" to the same level as Weymouths or Audleys? I noticed the $100 difference in pricing.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitley benchgrade C&Js, though Silver seems to price all levels of C&J equally.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As usual, Aportnoy is right. These are benchgrade C&Js--definitely on the C&J 324 last, by the way (they're in the C&J catalog)--that you can get from PLal for $326 US, and thus a long way from Ben Silver's price. My experience with the latter seller is that there are really only two circumstances under which it makes sense to buy from him: (a) he's the only source with the color you want (and thus I bought a pair of C&J Downings--Handgrade full brogues--in burgundy once from him, since they were not available from any other source in that color; also he seems to be only source for Weymouths in tan) or (b) he has them on sale (for this reason, I bought a pair of C&J Mortimer Handgrade monks from him for $262 last summer). Other than these two sets of circumstances, Ben Silver prices are very high. For ordinary C&J purchases, I don't think it's possible to beat PLal.

Edit: I just went on to the Ben Silver website and noted that the Mortimers in tan are still on sale--although now for $297 (still a good deal) and only in size 9.5. These are on the C&J 330 last, not the 337.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J benchgrades aren't all that, and to price them @ or over $500 is a tad optimistic. Frankly, if forced to shell out nearly $500 I'd rather opt for Aldens. Hey, @ least you know you're buying a tank
laugh.gif
BTW, Pediwear route isn't terribly cheap if you add the $400-plus price to shipping cost to possible late day suprises from the friendly folks of US Customs.
And every seller displays Chalfonts in a different hue. This one is from P.Lal.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
freakin excellent. how is the quality and service?
Excellent. I've ordered two pairs of C&J from Plal.com, and it was a first rate experience.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I've only been fitted for the 337 last in bals, and wear a UK 9.5E. These monkstraps are a D, and I wear a US 11D. Is the sizing on Ben Silver for C&Js U.S. sizing? If so, are there any special sizing/fit issues when it comes to monkstraps that I should know about (whether they fit a bit wider, or may/may not be snugger than bals).

Otherwise I think I"ll be ordering size 11. Thanks for the help.
are you sure you are a 9.5E if you regularly wear 11D in US?

i would think that that would translate to 10 or 10.5 E in UK for your size?

lalakis

Reaction score
if you compare the models on plal and ben silver you will not find all the models n plal i.e the lawrence monk. Some of the models ben silver has are not even in the cataloque of c&j.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads