• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about blazers lapels

dudeitsduo

Reaction score
I am currently looking at purchasing a Zegna blazer but have some reservations about the lapels. I am wondering if the lapels are 1) too narrow and 2) are too low on the blazer. I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpeg
    s-l500.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 91

St1X

Reaction score
I call it a sad gorge. It's an old man's look. Very outdated. Modern tailoring has a higher gorge and a notch pointing upwards, not downwards. Thus it looks very sad

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I would say it depends on price. Is this $50 or so? Go for it. Wear it a few times, decide how you feel about it. If you don't like it, just re-sell it or donate it.

Are you paying high dollar for it? I would not. The lapel width is perfectly fine for me, but the gorge is too low.

I like my gorge to align roughly with my shirt collar, about halfway down to the points, give or take. On that jacket, probably 2.5 inches higher, maybe even 3 or 4, hard to tell.

I actually just got a jacket off ebay with a similarly low gorge. I paid very little for it, otherwise I'd be kind of upset, as it was not described accurately or photographed well - that's the risk we take for dirt-cheap stuff. I don't like the gorge at all but I'll probably wear it a few times before passing it on to the next person. (Surprisingly decently made, I suspect because it's fairly old.)

Mirage-

Reaction score
It is definitely old fashioned yes. Not necessarily bad, though not what I would personally wear.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the perspective of the photo makes the gorge look lower than it really is, I think. It probably will look better IRL though the lapels are skinnier than I'd personally prefer.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This jacket is probably 30 years old. This was the popular lapel/collar shape at that time. Think Armani introduced this at the time. Not certain.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking at purchasing a Zegna blazer but have some reservations about the lapels. I am wondering if the lapels are 1) too narrow and 2) are too low on the blazer. I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

I want to be honest, this is a very poor style in my eyes, low gorge and very narrow lapels. I would never consider buying it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads