Questions about a black suit and what to get.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Yanksawboy, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Yanksawboy

Yanksawboy New Member

I went to Mens Warehouse last week and bought a $350 black suit. Without much knowledge about suits I thought a black suit was a safe bet and can match most dress shirt and tie combos. However when I saw a thread where someone said black suits are usually reserved for funerals and I looked into it. Most people said the same and advised on wearing different color suits. I am going to pick up the suit today after it has been tailored and I was wondering if I should keep it or try to exchange it. Since the suit is already tailored it would probably be a douchbaggy move. I need a suit for political conventions and just to have it in general.

2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Well you're almost certainly not going to be allowed to return it due to it being tailored, douchebaggy or not.

Since you already bought it, learn to embrace it I suppose. Most agree that a navy or charcoal suit should be your first, and black suits are not particularly versatile. Luckily for you, 99% of men out there have sense of proper attire, and will also be wearing black suits, so at least you will blend in. Focus on it fitting well (hopefully the tailoring is good), and then ensure a nice shirt and tie (no shiny tie fabrics) and work from there.

3. Yanksawboy

Yanksawboy New Member

Thanks. I'm in college and me and my friends always considered black the go to suit.

4. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I'm afraid that just makes you wrong. But at least should you need to attend a funeral you will be properly dressed.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

That's about all it is fit for - save burning.

6. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

Chalk it up as a learning experience. Besides, if it fits and you're "high contrast," it'll be fine.

7. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

You might find that the black suit works in the evening for social settings.