• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questionable Customer?

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
I agree - if they are going to charge for shipping they MUST have you authorize that.

Beyond that while I'm not sure of Patek's full conversation if I ordered the wrong size of something with the guidance of a customer rep then I do hope for some assistance when I re-order. It's just good business IMO.

Normally, I would agree with you, however (as someone who buys a lot of shoes online), figuring out if a shoe will fit over the phone is VERY difficult. Everyone's feet are different. With all the different lasts, widths, and the non standard "translation" of UK sizing to US sizing really makes figuring out your proper size guesswork at best. If you're a 10D US are you going to be a 9E UK or an 8.5F UK or 9.5E UK? Not being able to try a shoe on is always rolling the dice, I'm afraid.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Again, I don't see why this is an issue. An exchange is essentially a refund and a new purchase. In which case, you would have to top up your total for the new shipment charges, as shipment charges are not refunded.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MoosicPa
Their policy seems pretty clear to me: "and the cost of any replacement shoes will also be charged.." The cost of the replacement shoes would include postage..... no?!?
musicboohoo[1].gif

Nope, their "Postage is Included in the Price".

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you kinnda sound like a pain ********** and im sure they will be glad to be rid of your buisness...

confused.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
you kinnda sound like a pain ********** and im sure they will be glad to be rid of your buisness...

confused.gif

this.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Again, I don't see why this is an issue. An exchange is essentially a refund and a new purchase. In which case, you would have to top up your total for the new shipment charges, as shipment charges are not refunded.

Originally Posted by Patek
Nope, their "Postage is Included in the Price".

Exactly. Pair of shoes #1 is refunded less shipping, pair of shoes #2 is charged, including shipping, precisely as stated.
ffffuuuu.gif

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are going to ruin low cost shoe sites like this if you keep this up. Not you by yourself, but people like you. These sites run on low overhead and low markup. They don't make a lot of money on each pair. Any reasonable person should understand that you bear the risk of the shoes not fitting. If they have to absorb costs associated with people ordering the incorrect size, they will have to either (a) go out of business or (b) place that cost into the product, which leads to higher prices.

I don't care what the policy says. You screwed up. Quit complaining and pay the man.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon

confused.gif

Maybe they will be. However, I have two more pairs in my shopping cart that I told them I was going to wait to purchase until I got the fit right. So if they want to be "rid" of my business, more power to them. I run my business in a different way that focuses on customer service.

How much of a PITA am I being if I am bitching on an on-line forum anyway?

Originally Posted by asdf
Exactly. Pair of shoes #1 is refunded less shipping, pair of shoes #2 is charged, including shipping, precisely as stated.
ffffuuuu.gif

How do you figure your math? How is a refund the same as charging additonal without customer consent?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run my business in a different way that focuses on customer service.
If you are looking for the world's best customer service then you need to go to the store and pay full price. If you want to be cheap, then you order over the internet. You can't expect them to give away stuff and still keep the prices low.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I'm honestly confused as to how you are still trying to fight this. Take a step back and think about the situation. In my dealings with you, you've seemed to be a reasonable guy, but you aren't showing that right now.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
You are going to ruin low cost shoe sites like this if you keep this up. Not you by yourself, but people like you. These sites run on low overhead and low markup. They don't make a lot of money on each pair. Any reasonable person should understand that you bear the risk of the shoes not fitting. If they have to absorb costs associated with people ordering the incorrect size, they will have to either (a) go out of business or (b) place that cost into the product, which leads to higher prices.

I don't care what the policy says. You screwed up. Quit complaining and pay the man.

First, it is a woman who already charged me. There is nothing for me to pay. I wanted to order multiple pairs of shoes but I was unsure of the fit. The customer rep said that an 11.5 would work. I was not sure so I said I would order one pair and order the rest once I was happy with the fit. This was understood by all parties involved.

As rtated repeatedly, all I wanted was to be informed prior to being charged. You would think that if they wanted repeat customers, they would tell them prior to charging them. What if I wanted to use a different form of payment.

The "man" was paid, I am just questioning their customer service--as I have every right to.

asdf

Reaction score
How do you figure your math? How is a refund the same as charging additonal without customer consent?

Really?

Okay, say a pair of shoes is 300 dollars, and shipping (included in the price of 300) is 30 dollars. You are exchanging (ie. refunding and re-ordering) per their terms.

The Incremental charge you pay is = (refund) - (charge for new shoes)

Now, the refund is clearly defined as cost less original shipping, so we now have.

= (cost - shipping) - (cost of new pair)
= (300 - 30) - (300)
= -30

So you owe them 30 dollars, QED.

You have consented to this by asking them to do the exchange. If you had instead asked for a return, you would instead of been credited 270 dollars and no shoes would be mailed.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I'm honestly confused as to how you are still trying to fight this. Take a step back and think about the situation. In my dealings with you, you've seemed to be a reasonable guy, but you aren't showing that right now.

I'm really not fighting, just bitching. I totally understand their side--I really do. I just question their customer service and the face that we have been in communication back and forth about various shoes and never once did they inform me of the charge.

I'm not all up in arms and I understand that they have to make money. However, I do not like money leaving my account without me knowing about it. I run a tight bugetary ship
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads