• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question: unwrinkling a wrinkled tie

joobacca

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new here.

I have a tie that I like but it's pretty wrinkled because I didn't put it on a rack. How do I unwrinkle it?

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Try hanging or rolling the tie to start. If that doesn't work, you might be able to iron it. Now, with ties you have to be a little careful about the heat, and you'll probably also want to iron it using something between the iron and the tie. And be careful about the seam (since it's easy to iron a crease into the front of your tie from pressing on the seam)

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrocsRock
Try hanging or rolling the tie to start. If that doesn't work, you might be able to iron it.

Uh, no. Never iron a tie.

cvac

Reaction score
I would stretch the tie out lightly and put it on the rack. I would not even try the iron. that sounds like a bad idea.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually steam them, while flat, I hold the iron 2 inchest being careful not to touch the silk, above the tie and steam it, after the steam is applied, i stretch it a bit while warm to make sure any creases are gone.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
I usually steam them, while flat, I hold the iron 2 inchest being careful not to touch the silk, above the tie and steam it, after the steam is applied, i stretch it a bit while warm to make sure any creases are gone.

It's been said that the iron can spit or dribble water on the tie leaving a water stain. I would probably do this with the tie vertical so large amounts of water don't spill out and I'd steam the back of the tie. Actually I'd just buy a steamer.

cvac

Reaction score
One more thing:

If the tie is a really cheap, flimsy tie it will be a lot harder to unwrinkle. In that case I wouldn't even bother doing anything with it.

Usually ties unwrinkle on their own by stretching them out or hanging them after a few days.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joobacca
I have a tie that I like but it's pretty wrinkled because I didn't put it on a rack. How do I unwrinkle it?

PLEASE DON'T IRON A TIE!

You could start by hanging up the tie in the bathroom, when you take a shower (don't hang the tie IN the shower). Let the the steam from a hot shower do its work. Sometimes, just that is enough.

I've always been afraid of applying steam to a tie, because of the risks, but a woman at Neiman Marcus Last Call showed me how to do it successfully.

She used a hand held steamer and held it up a few inches from a hanging tie, starting at the top and working her way down.

If you do use a steamer, be careful that it is clean. If it spits out dirty water, it is quite possible to get water spots or stains on the tie.

joobacca

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

The tie is not cheap so I won't try to iron it. I guess I could buy a new tie, but I rarely where a tie so I don't really want to buy one.

Is it possible to give it to a dry cleaners and ask them to take care of it?

Thanks

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joobacca
Thanks for the help.

The tie is not cheap so I won't try to iron it. I guess I could buy a new tie, but I rarely where a tie so I don't really want to buy one.

Is it possible to give it to a dry cleaners and ask them to take care of it?

Thanks

Few cleaners really know how to work on ties. Most will press the tie flat. the edges should roll and look full, not flat & creased. If it is that big a problem and concern to you send it to Tiecrafters in NY. The most professional people to work on ties. That is all they do.

You have good advice from all the previous posts. Roll the tie first for a day, let it hang. If it still is wrinkled try a little steam.

cvac

Reaction score
If I had to steam a tie, I would put a clean white t-shirt over it, then steam that. I wouldn't apply the steam directly. This way you avoid the potential for water spots. The bathroom / shower idea is a pretty good one. The teakettle is a bad idea...too easy to burn yourself. +1 on most cleaners ruining your tie.

Lawman

Reaction score
I have a clothes press with adjustable heat. The press is lined with sponge/foam, and on low heat for about ten minutes gives a great press and comes out warm, but not at all hot. It has never failed me. No damage of any kind.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- stick hair dryer into large end of tie
- run on "high" and "no heat." the tie should swell out like a long balloon.
- hang in shower and bathe in shower steam
- leave hanging until dry
- hold small end in palm, roll tie around hand
- leave rolled tie on dresser for a day or two

after this, if the tie still has unsightly wrinkles, it's time to buy a new tie.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
Very unique method! I have a nice steamer, but I might dry your method as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads