• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question that takes an interesting aside: I need help with..

greatfire

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 6'1", african american, skinny, and completely burnt out from trying to find streetwear/college-wear that fits me properly.

As the years have gone by, I have noticed a gradual drift between clothing styles.. you either have extremely baggy/uncomfortable jeans, or too-close-for-comfort straight legged jeans. This is all fine and dandy except for the fact that it puts me in a terrible position to find the style of jeans I prefer. I like loose-fitting jeans, but not so loose as to be baggy and hanging out under my butt. 19-20" leg opening. I have found that bootcuts simply don't look good on me. It is quite strange, as I have "bowed" legs, but it is true. So what I'm trying to find are some loose-fitting straight legged jeans with 19-20.5" leg opening. Can I get some help? As an example, I have a pair of levi 569's and I think they are almost perfect: they are just a little bit too tight. I also have a pair of bullhead loose fit straight leg jeans, and I think they are about right.

Also, I'm having problems finding t-shirts that fit me the way I like. They are either 2 sizes too large, and extending to my knees, or uncomfortably small, falling just over my belt, and having sleeves that just barely cover my (not so) bulging shoulder muscles. This is annoying to me. I like the (closer) fitting t-shirts (not macho muscle-man t-shirts, mind you) that also fits my shoulder properly, extends a little below my waist, and with sleeves that extend to my elbow (or somewhere close).

I ask here, because I'd like to find some good stuff for my back-to-school wardrobe that fits well, and doesn't leave me feeling very uncomfortable.

ok, snobby writing aside, I need help.. its been a frustrating six months trying to find stuff that fits me correctly. I'm a college student, and I'd just go frat style abercrombie, but that doesn't really work for me, because I'm african american, and their stuff just looks weird on me. No offense.

frown.gif

Thanks!

minya

Reaction score
Where do you live, what's your weight, and what are your measurements?

And how much do you want to spend?

greatfire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
Where do you live, what's your weight, and what are your measurements? And how much do you want to spend?
height: 6'1"
weight: 160lbs

across shoulders: 20"
chest: literally measures 41" (I wear a 44 suit, though).
waist: 33-34" (what I wear)
inseam: 32

shoes: 11 inch, us.

Jeans: no more than $50'ish? I guess I'm flexible, but I'm just a college brat.
T-shirts: eh.. $20.00?

Price is flexible, depending on how good the clothes are.

JO3B

Reaction score
i bet a uniqlo standard fit jean is just about what you're looking for.

but i don't know where you live.

greatfire

Reaction score
Connecticut, but I go to school in New York (near canada).

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't american apparrel stuff normally fit the tall and skinny? Though, apparently it shrinks a good amount?

greatfire

Reaction score
The sleeves on most t-shirts are too short for someone like myself.. the t-shirt itself is also too short. The jeans are too close-fitting, otherwise, they tend to be bootcut (which looks awkward on me), or too baggy (i'm black, but I'm not "gangsta").

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
As stupid as it sound, maybe you should try Gap for tees, they have some that are looser than AA but still fitted and you'll be able to try them in person and make sure the sleeves are allright. I think Jon likes them, maybe he could give more info.

As for jeans, for $50 hmm, go Uniqlo I guess, but maybe they're not relaxed enough. You would be a prime exemple of a Rag and Bone client but they're a lot more expensive than $50.

nomovement

Reaction score
Hey man, sorry that all these "fashionable" clothes fit you so poorly...but I think what you're asking for is "middle-america" fit. Shouldn't be too difficult. As a college student myself, I feel your finacial sitch. I would highly reccommend skateboard clothing. I know it seems weird; but I've really been impressed with the coeptition (sp) of the fashion industry by the skateboarding/action sports industry. For you, some of the companies are doing a "slim fit" tee (like volcom or dc) that, while it isn't a rectange, still isn't super slim, and they're a little longer. And then, the denim, is all kinda cool. you won't see any selvedge or any quality related details; but some of the graphic and labeling is cool and unique-and the most expensive skatejeans you'll find are like $80. keep in mind that most of skateboard clothing is designed at a price point that parents won't say no to their kids. look at
www.activemailorder.com
or
www.utilityboardsupply.com

I think you'll be pretty impressed.

btw-I've been skateboarding for 15 years so I feel pretty comfy rocking skate gear...If you don't skate; don't worry remember that skateboarding has been looking to hip-hop for inspiration for the last 16 years...should be a nice break from the A&F look.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, not sure about at the pricepoint you're looking at, but Nudie Loose Franks or Howie's (the Welsh company) seem like they would be perfect for you. Both good loose straight leg jeans. Atelier La Durance would be my next pick, followed by some PRPS models. I personally like Corpus Fine and Corpus Benko jeans, these days on sale for about $80 in many places, but they may not be exactly what you are looking for. The new "Skater" jean offered by A.P.C may be up your alley as well, though I've never seen these in person, and One True Saxon does some decent straight leg, loose jeans, as well.

But I agree with the above poster: skate brands may be the way for you to go. Volcom is a good bet, as are Stussy and Milkcrate.

Good luck.

nomovement

Reaction score
apc skater jeans? where?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads