• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question regarding the sleeve length of sports jacket

changejobs

Reaction score
I just bought a kiton sports jacket. The tailor that was adding the working button holes asked me if i wanted 1/4 of an inch of the shirt to show or not. I said no but am seeing many guys where their sports jackets or suit with a small portion of the shirt extending past the sleeve. I would like to which way is correct?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changejobs
I just bought a kiton sports jacket. The tailor that was adding the working button holes asked me if i wanted 1/4 of an inch of the shirt to show or not. I said no but am seeing many guys where their sports jackets or suit with a small portion of the shirt extending past the sleeve. I would like to which way is correct?

It is all personal preference, however most people like to show 1/4" to 1/2" of shirt cuff. It looks clean and makes your figure look a bit more elongated. It also shows more of the color/pattern matching between the shirt and jacket.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes you do want to show cuff!

changejobs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It is all personal preference, however most people like to show 1/4" to 1/2" of shirt cuff. It looks clean and makes your figure look a bit more elongated. It also shows more of the color/pattern matching between the shirt and jacket.

i appreciate your response. being 6'4' do you think i may look too elongated? also , i usually wear sport jackets with jeans or khakis. would the cuff showing be ok for a casual look?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i appreciate your response. being 6'4' do you think i may look too elongated? also , i usually wear sport jackets with jeans or khakis. would the cuff showing be ok for a casual look?

I think you are ok being that tall. Cuff showing is always good regardless of formality in my opinion. I am 6' 2" and it doesn't look bad.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
its the same for suits and sport coats.
and its what ever amount you want.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yessir

changejobs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Yessir

thank you. it seems like most people here prefer it shortened. is there anybody here that does not like showing the shirts cuffs?

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
thank you. it seems like most people here prefer it shortened. is there anybody here that does not like showing the shirts cuffs?

If so, I don't want to meet him.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It seems like in the 90s it was the in thing for big shoulders and thumb length sleeves. Thankfully the pendulum has swung to a much more classic style with nipped waists, closer fitting clothes and no shame in shorter sleeves with a nice suit cuff contrast peeking out.

I recently saw a film called Jersey Girl made in 1990. Dylan mcDermot could have made a three ring circus tent out of the fabric in his suit jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads