• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question regarding the sleeve length of sports jacket

changejobs

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
I just bought a kiton sports jacket. The tailor that was adding the working button holes asked me if i wanted 1/4 of an inch of the shirt to show or not. I said no but am seeing many guys where their sports jackets or suit with a small portion of the shirt extending past the sleeve. I would like to which way is correct?
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
37,259
Reaction score
11,844
Originally Posted by changejobs
I just bought a kiton sports jacket. The tailor that was adding the working button holes asked me if i wanted 1/4 of an inch of the shirt to show or not. I said no but am seeing many guys where their sports jackets or suit with a small portion of the shirt extending past the sleeve. I would like to which way is correct?

It is all personal preference, however most people like to show 1/4" to 1/2" of shirt cuff. It looks clean and makes your figure look a bit more elongated. It also shows more of the color/pattern matching between the shirt and jacket.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,853
Reaction score
3,378
yes you do want to show cuff!
 

changejobs

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It is all personal preference, however most people like to show 1/4" to 1/2" of shirt cuff. It looks clean and makes your figure look a bit more elongated. It also shows more of the color/pattern matching between the shirt and jacket.

i appreciate your response. being 6'4' do you think i may look too elongated? also , i usually wear sport jackets with jeans or khakis. would the cuff showing be ok for a casual look?
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
37,259
Reaction score
11,844
Originally Posted by changejobs
i appreciate your response. being 6'4' do you think i may look too elongated? also , i usually wear sport jackets with jeans or khakis. would the cuff showing be ok for a casual look?

I think you are ok being that tall. Cuff showing is always good regardless of formality in my opinion. I am 6' 2" and it doesn't look bad.
 

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
2,855
Reaction score
114
its the same for suits and sport coats.
and its what ever amount you want.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,853
Reaction score
3,378
Originally Posted by changejobs
i appreciate your response. being 6'4' do you think i may look too elongated? also , i usually wear sport jackets with jeans or khakis. would the cuff showing be ok for a casual look?

Yessir
 

changejobs

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by ter1413
Yessir

thank you. it seems like most people here prefer it shortened. is there anybody here that does not like showing the shirts cuffs?
 

kylelovesyou

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
263
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by changejobs
thank you. it seems like most people here prefer it shortened. is there anybody here that does not like showing the shirts cuffs?

If so, I don't want to meet him.
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
485
It seems like in the 90s it was the in thing for big shoulders and thumb length sleeves. Thankfully the pendulum has swung to a much more classic style with nipped waists, closer fitting clothes and no shame in shorter sleeves with a nice suit cuff contrast peeking out.

I recently saw a film called Jersey Girl made in 1990. Dylan mcDermot could have made a three ring circus tent out of the fabric in his suit jackets.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,665
Messages
9,455,179
Members
198,177
Latest member
meidalerva
Top