• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question regarding style of overcoat

mdumitrescu

Reaction score
Dear gents,

I am seeking your advice regarding the styling of a winter overcoat I seek to commission.
The fabric is https://apparel.hollandandsherry.co...contemporary-overcoats-navy-large-herringbone , a heavy 850g/m out of lambswool.

Almost everybody here seems to recommend a double breasted and I personally would like the style a lot e.g. https://www.pinterest.de/pin/648588783813955967/

However, my tailor seems to think that this would not be very flattering on my body because I am only 1.74. In his view, the DB Overcoat is flattering for taller people.

However, I like:

1. the style
2. the extra layer of cloth for added warmth in cold winters of Berlin
3. the peak lapels which, imho, look worse on a single breasted.

What would you do in my situation?

Insist on a style/build you like or go with the tailor's advice?

Thank you!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything is more flattering on taller people.

you might consider, too, that the tailor is not skilled enough to pull it off.

there’s a great thread here in DB:

You’ll see many men of average to shorter stature who are pulling it off. Granted, this is not a suit, but I see no reason why you can’t look good in an overcoat.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I very much disagree with your tailor.

A classic thread here from someone much shorter than you.

I guess the question I'd have is, given your tailor's suspect judgment, do you trust him to make a great overcoat?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a double-breasted overcoat can work for a shorter build. Not sure why it would not.

However, the coat you linked is to a guard's coat, which is a more formal style of an overcoat. I find these are difficult to wear unless you're layering them over a suit. If you want something you can wear more casually, it may be worth choosing a different style. It can still be a DB, if you prefer. A tan-colored polo coat is still a DB, but I think it's easier to wear casually (while still being something you can layer over a tailored jacket)

a64315215937f42323deac0e2f1287c5.jpg
tumblr_inline_oh0s7tHIOY1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_n2lm02uu4U1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The length of the overcoat, along with the cut, will have more to do with how flattering it looks. I'm 5'8", and I often wear a DB overcoat in the winter. The key is to have it also cut closely to the body around the sides and arms, so that it shows off your form rather than swallowing you up in too much cloth.

If your tailor isn't going to be confident/good enough to make one for you though, I'd get it done elsewhere and get a SB from him instead.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 1.77 and I almost exclusively wear double breasted suits and coats. If you like it do it. Couldn’t find a buttoned pic but whatever :p

Dear gents,

I am seeking your advice regarding the styling of a winter overcoat I seek to commission.
The fabric is https://apparel.hollandandsherry.co...contemporary-overcoats-navy-large-herringbone , a heavy 850g/m out of lambswool.

Almost everybody here seems to recommend a double breasted and I personally would like the style a lot e.g. https://www.pinterest.de/pin/648588783813955967/

However, my tailor seems to think that this would not be very flattering on my body because I am only 1.74. In his view, the DB Overcoat is flattering for taller people.

However, I like:

1. the style
2. the extra layer of cloth for added warmth in cold winters of Berlin
3. the peak lapels which, imho, look worse on a single breasted.

What would you do in my situation?

Insist on a style/build you like or go with the tailor's advice?

Thank you!
4B9D2328-B8D2-40EE-AC5A-97AB5EADF60B.jpeg 3B778437-AD15-4E18-B74A-4A38570475EC.jpeg

Shetterd

Reaction score
I am about 1.75 and I have personally found that anything that goes much lower than an inch or so below the knee makes me look short (obviously depends on proportions too), but the style doesn't really make a difference.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about 1.75 and I have personally found that anything that goes much lower than an inch or so below the knee makes me look short (obviously depends on proportions too), but the style doesn't really make a difference.

Around knee length or just below is best for me too. I do have one or two that extend to mid-shin and are warmer for very cold days, but I also don't care too much about extending my already perfect height.

rjc149

Reaction score
I've never owned anything with peaked lapels, partially because they're slightly ostentatious for non-eveningwear and also because the peaks seem to droop and bend.

Keep in mind the practicality of wearing a longer overcoat. If they go below the knees, they tend to get caught in things, get dirty, drag on the ground, and wear out faster, for really not much added warmth. For instance, you're not hanging it from your chair without half your coat piled on the floor. Not every restaurant keeps their floor spotless or has a coat rack.

And I have to agree with your tailor, a larger coat will make you appear smaller. If you don't care, don't care, but its best if clothing either complements, or balances, your proportions, rather than emphasizes them.

If you want to go DB, might I suggest a peacoat button system? Ie. all three buttons are in line and function, rather than the top one being flared out from the other two and being non-functioning.

I have a bespoke topcoat that looks like this, except it falls just above the knees.

81n8J3p4BPL._AC_UX342_.jpg

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never owned anything with peaked lapels, partially because they're slightly ostentatious for non-eveningwear and also because the peaks seem to droop and bend.

Peak lapels are pretty typical for a DB overcoat. Wouldn't call them ostentatious at all.

rjc149

Reaction score
Peak lapels are pretty typical for a DB overcoat. Wouldn't call them ostentatious at all.
DB overcoats aren't typical, so I guess it's relative. I consider peaked lapels slightly ostentatious on anything other than a tuxedo jacket. Components of ultra-formal attire on less formal attire is always going to be slightly ostentatious. Doesn't mean it's bad.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A peacoat or a bridge coat is going to be a totally different type of garment from a guard's coat. The first two are distinctly casual, while the third is one of the more formal types of dress coats.

I think we had this discussion in another thread, but I don't think you can slap random details on an outerwear design, like pieces on Mr. Potato Head. An Ulster collar, peak lapel, style of front or pockets, etc. All these will have an impact on the language of a coat.

If someone wants to wear a dress coat over a suit, and they plan to wear it to a formal dress environment, I think they'd be better off with a Guard's coat. If you plan to wear something only with casualwear, then you can do a bridge coat. If want something that straddles these two worlds, you can consider a polo coat (lots of details on a polo coat can also swing it in either direction -- dressier or more casual).

In any case, I don't think double-breasted closures are only for tall people. Before commissioning something like this, I would look to see if the tailor has done such work before. See if you like how those coats look on their intended wearers (ideally people who have a build similar to yours, although that's not always possible). Then think about how you plan to wear this garment. The details will fit into each other like puzzle pieces to create a message.

Here's a discussion we had on overcoat styles. The OP may find it useful.

rjc149

Reaction score
I rarely see them. Three-button SB topcoats are the norm. When I see a DB coat, it's almost always on some kid wearing something he found in grandpa's closet or a hipster wearing a military surplus coat. YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads