• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question regarding shirt alterations:

akwit

Reaction score
When looking to taper a dress shirt, do you prefer to have your tailor take-in the sides or pin the back? (i think thats what its called; they fold over small bits of fabric in the back of the shirt as opposed to cutting the sides of the shirt).

The former runs me $20 here in NYC while the latter costs $12.

Which look/fit do you prefer?

mitchelm

Reaction score
I believe that the latter is referred to as "darting".

I prefer taking in the sides. Particularly so with a white shirt as the "darting" can be more pronounced.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a shirtmaker will tell,

If you take the sides, diagonal wrinkles might/should appear on the breast but a more takin in can be achieved.

The darts can take in max 6 cm and breast can be blousy yet depending on how big is the shirt.

G

Griffindork

The shirts that really fit me well all have darts. I've had a lot of shirt makers push back on using darts and insisting that they can get as clean of a shirt without darts and it's never worked.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have studied shirtmaking in Naples and sadly is true, I hate darts, but unless you got a stick body as mine, a slim shirt can´t be achieved without darts.

My master was tired of me asking it almost all days it, he said, be magician instead of shirtmaker and do it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.