Question: Regarding Borrelli and Kiton Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cravate Royale, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Cravate Royale

Cravate Royale Active Member

I would like to get your feedback and suggestions on the fit of Borrelli vs Kiton shirts. I own several Borrelli dress shirts and have noticed different fits depending on where these shirts are bought. Borelli boutique has the slimmest fit of all stores. I am interested to know what experience you all have with Kiton dress shirts in terms of fit and whether they are also made with varying fits for different stores. Any suggestions and input would be truely appreciated. I am new to your forum, however, I have been following the forum for a while and am very impressed with the knowledge and passion that exists on the forum for exquisite men's wear.
    Thank you for your kind attention.

2. LARon

LARon Senior member

There have been many threads on this/these subject/s (comparing shirts, comparing Kiton and Borrelli, comparing various makes, etc.). Try the search function and see what you get.

3. ragdoll

ragdoll Senior member

Like Borrelli, Kiton shirts come in varying degrees of fullness. The ones I have found in the midwest are relatively large or full. I have some from Stanley Korshak that seem to be slim-cut. You might consider their MTM though for the price you could go custom...

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Kiton: When I did MTM, you had a choice of a full American cut, fuller German cut, and slimmer Italian cut.

Both makers are excellent.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Kiton uses much nicer fabrics.

6. horton

horton Senior member

I have limtied experience with Kiton shirts but like them a lot. Ones that have looked like dress shirts (or dressier) or that come from mens clothing boutiques, e.g., Louis, Korshak etc, have been trimmer IMO. Ones that look more casual (e.g., button down collars) have been more full.

If you're buying bricks and mortar, they'll certainly let you try things on.

I've seen more variation in fit in the Borrelli shirts.

If you're looking for trimmer styles also consider Lorenzini and Bizzocchi.

7. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

All of the Kiton shirts in my wardrobe are RTW and purchased from either Lance (Clotheshorse) or Ian (World's Finest). They fit better and feel better than the Borrelli shirts acquired from Wilkes Bashford and Neiman Marcus.

Ironically, the Oxxford ready RTW made by Kiton are the best fitting RTW shirts in my wardrobe. It is ironic because the Oxxford/Kiton shirts are measurably slimmer than the Kiton shirts from Lance and Ian! I am in complete agreement with iammatt regarding the quality of Kiton fabric.

Since Kiton no longer makes for Oxxford, my ultimate solution will my first bespoke shirts. The only problem is I don't need any new shirts! [​IMG]

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Kiton: When I did MTM, you had a choice of a full American cut, fuller German cut, and slimmer Italian cut.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this kind of funny.

9. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree that Kiton, on the whole, uses finer fabrics than Borrelli. They also, on the whole, are about double the retail price. And the Kiton shirts that retail at $595 do not use the prime Riva fabrics so they are, IMHO, about the same as Borrelli. The Borrelli "Royal" Collection uses fabrics that are in same the quality range as Kiton, though.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I agree that Kiton, on the whole, uses finer fabrics than Borrelli. They also, on the whole, are about double the retail price. And the Kiton shirts that retail at $595 do not use the prime Riva fabrics so they are, IMHO, about the same as Borrelli. The Borrelli "Royal" Collection uses fabrics that are in same the quality range as Kiton, though.
    I like Riva fabrics a lot. Nowadays, I would say that at least half of my shirts are Riva. Are they supposed to be more expensive than Acorn or something similar [​IMG]?

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

You're all nuts

[​IMG]

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're all nuts

[​IMG]

Like you didn't know that already? [​IMG]

Btw Zach, how's that Italian toy treating you?[​IMG]

13. Artisan Fan

About half my Kiton are Riva. Riva is silky smooth but what surprises me is their durability. I have several that wear better than much heavier fabric. The Royal Borrellis are very nice as well but are also $600+.

14. Artisan Fan

Kiton makes for Oxxford? Are you sure? That's news to me. I thought they used an American manufacturer...

15. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Kiton makes for Oxxford? Are you sure? That's news to me. I thought they used an American manufacturer...

Kiton made shirts for Oxxford. Past tense.