• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question re: Vista

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
A question for those knowledgable about things computers.

My home desktop is about 5 years old and starting to show its age. I've waited to buy a new computer because of the debut of Vista.

Does anyone know if software that works with XP will work with Vista?

thanks

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Don't get Vista yet, wait a while until MS works out the kinks.

Jon.

Agreed.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I'd wait about 6 months (if you can). Should take care of the most pertinent kinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a Mac
devil.gif

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't encourage anyone to upgrade to Vista if they have a choice, but if you need a new computer, then go ahead and pull the trigger. Most software will work just fine.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Thanks.

Admittedly, Apple's new ads have been getting to me, and i was thinking that if most of what i had wasn't going to work on vista and i essentially had to start fresh, that i might go with a Mac. But I know little about them (e.g., I had no idea one could run Windows on a Mac!). So perhaps I should stick with Windows....

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
And then run Windows on it.
devil.gif

Jon.

Jon, I've actually been considering doing this recently. I'm currently in the market for a new office desktop and was thinking of buying a top-of-the-line Mac Pro, partition a bit of space for Windows Vista (purely for my games), and use OS X as my main OS. Do you think this is realistically feasible?

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
Jon, I've actually been considering doing this recently. I'm currently in the market for a new office desktop and was thinking of buying a top-of-the-line Mac Pro, partition a bit of space for Windows Vista (purely for my games), and use OS X as my main OS. Do you think this is realistically feasible?

I wouldn't expect too much gaming ability out of the Mac Pro, at least not right now. Most games won't take advantage of all four cores, not to mention upgrading the RAM in that thing is ungodly expensive. Plus, i'm not sure if the MacPro will accept a DX10 card... That is, unless the most demanding game you need to run is World of Warcraft or something. Then the MacPro will work just fine.

With regards to the OP, i'd agree mostly with what others said. If you're going to buy a new one, Vista should be fine. The only compatibility issues I (and my customers) have run into so far are with regards to Anti-Virus software, and there are a few well-known solutions that will work with Vista. Other than that, i've had had no major issues since Vista was finalized in November. I even went through and installed pretty much anything I could find lying about just to see if it would work- had no issues.

If you do want an XP machine, good luck finding one in retail. At my store, we have maybe 3 XP laptops left period, one being a demo. Most places haven't received anything with WinXP on it since before Christmas and have little to no inventory left. I know in the weeks before Vista launched we had pretty much nothing to sell at all, and it crippled us.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What Jsoft said. You will be able to run a chunk of stuff on it but as usual it will be more limited. And yes, DX10 is a great unknown but I would venture a guess that actual hardware support may be problematic. Plus DX10 will require VIsta, anyway.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend just got a Macbook to replace his aging Dell, and he runs bootcamp with XP with SP2 for games. I'm not a huge fan of the compatibility issues you get with switching to OSX, but strictly speaking, it's a far superior OS to anything Microsoft has ever put out.

Personally, I'm looking for a laptop right now, and I'll probably just keep using XP on it. If it weren't for games and a few other applications, I'd have switched to Ubuntu a long time ago. The only certain thing is that you should be ready to switch to Vista, but don't actually do it for at least several months if not a year.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
Most games won't take advantage of all four cores, not to mention upgrading the RAM in that thing is ungodly expensive. Plus, i'm not sure if the MacPro will accept a DX10 card... That is, unless the most demanding game you need to run is World of Warcraft or something. Then the MacPro will work just fine.

Thanks for the advice. However, I thought DX10 would not be an issue given Mac using Intel chips now?

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. However, I thought DX10 would not be an issue given Mac using Intel chips now?

DirectX 10 is a Microsoft product and will require Vista. Intel chips or not, you'll have to be running Vista in order to load up any DX10 software.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
My friend just got a Macbook to replace his aging Dell, and he runs bootcamp with XP with SP2 for games. I'm not a huge fan of the compatibility issues you get with switching to OSX, but strictly speaking, it's a far superior OS to anything Microsoft has ever put out. Personally, I'm looking for a laptop right now, and I'll probably just keep using XP on it. If it weren't for games and a few other applications, I'd have switched to Ubuntu a long time ago. The only certain thing is that you should be ready to switch to Vista, but don't actually do it for at least several months if not a year.
Same exact situation here. I would have gone all Penguin-Powered by now if it were not that there are games and apps I want running at native speed (Wine/Transgaming is still not quite there afaik). Personally I dislike OS X (we have plenty of machines here at work that I have used so I know that I will not warm up to it). As for Vista, well, hell. I'll avoid it as long as I can. It has all the worst parts of OS X and all the bad of XP together in a bloated package... Only two things may make me switch to Vista: DX10 game that I just MUST have (unlikely) or buying a PC with it installed (while less unliklely, next PC will either be custom built or OS-less from some boutique custom integrator). Anyway, you know how so many people still refuse to give up WIndows 2k for XP, I am sure you will see support for XP for many years to come. As for the four cores, it is much more likely that on the WIndows side you will see apps utilising multicore CPUs properly before the Mac (due to sheer marketshare and the optimisation./costs which will be required) but either way, we are a long way from where that will be used efficiently. It is basically an arms race between AMD and Intel with weapons that cannot be deployed. Like developing a nuclear bomb with no way to toss it at your opponent... P.s. For a counterpoint on Vista, GQGeek IIRC likes it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads