• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question re black ties ...

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recently scored a garza fina (?) black grenadine tie at such a ridiculously low price I snapped it up. I see them suggested as a staple quite frequently on here but don't recall seeing many black ties in WAYWRN. Outside of funerals does anyone wear black ties very often? In what other combinations besides severe conservative business dress? I usually like to use ties and PSs for colour with standard white or blue shirts. A gray, navy or khaki suit with white or light blue shirt and black tie seems awfully severe and monochrome to me. I realize early Bond pulled this off with a knit tie usually IIRC.
Good look or too funereal?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I personally would never wear a black tie with anything blue. To me it just looks wrong and I would prefer a navy tie, especially with a light blue shirt.

I think the black grenadine would look good with a white shirt and grey suit. Yes, it is monochrome, but the texture of the grenadine will give it a little bit more life, especially with a linen square. That is just my 2 cents.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a gorgeous Charvet cashmere/silk thats a solid black. I wear it quite often. If I have on black shoes, theres a very high chance ill wear the black charvet or a black pindot. Im sure many will disagree, but I like it. I also wear it witha grey suit, white shirt, and white PS....Soporific!

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Bond's look with a black grenadine: Great.

Gray suit, pink shirt, black tie: A look for the ages. Scroll down one-third of etutee's marvelous London Lounge post to the Ascot illustration. The gent in the foreground is wearing it to great effect. (etutee says his coat is black, but it might be oxford gray. Anyway, the effect is even more striking as you go down the shades of gray.)

"Severe" doesn't come to mind for me when thinking of khaki suit and black tie. Especially with a blue shirt. But YMMV.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Now I need Master Classter to see this!

That pic of Bond looks excellent but with my pale and pasty shading ... not so much. Maybe that's why I usually add colour with accessories so I don't look so washed out.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ I saw that the other day. Very nice pic but couldn't make out if the tie was black or dark navy. Are your shoes black too or dark burgundy/no.8?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black grenadines are a great look and I wear one quite often.

Enjoy your tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads