• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question Re: Barbour Jacket

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got this Barbour lightweight flyer jacket in waxed cotton:

[URL='http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48gtwwrusticlgrj1.jpg']http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?i...usticlgrj1.jpg[/URL]

I never had any experience with waxed cotton jackets before, but when I wore them the other day, they kinda smelled when the sun came up in the afternoon. The smell reminds me of wax, and I assume it was the wax coating reacting to heat. Is there a way to get rid of that smell, or do waxed cotton jackets do this at certain temperatures?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do smell odd, the smell has sometimes been referred to as being a pine to ground cumin smell.

I don't think there is a way to alter the smell , I do notice when used frequently the smell goes down.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
It's not a bug - it's a feature. The smell gets less over time, but then again: when the wax is gone, it's time to reproof the jacket. I love my Beaufort, best Jacket I ever had.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I got this Barbour lightweight flyer jacket in waxed cotton:

[URL='http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48gtwwrusticlgrj1.jpg']http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?i...usticlgrj1.jpg[/URL]

I never had any experience with waxed cotton jackets before, but when I wore them the other day, they kinda smelled when the sun came up in the afternoon. The smell reminds me of wax, and I assume it was the wax coating reacting to heat. Is there a way to get rid of that smell, or do waxed cotton jackets do this at certain temperatures?

That is the normal reaction of waxed cotton jackets.
If I remember correctly, you live in the Phillipines? I personally don't think that a waxed cotton jacket is ideal since it will be very hot, and the wax applied on the jacket will more easily rub off on other items.

flatfront

Reaction score
Firstly great jacket!
I love the Flyweight waxed range. The smell will fade a little the more you wear it so son't worry.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
That is the normal reaction of waxed cotton jackets.
If I remember correctly, you live in the Phillipines? I personally don't think that a waxed cotton jacket is ideal since it will be very hot, and the wax applied on the jacket will more easily rub off on other items.

Yeah, I live in the Philippines, but these are for travels. But the jacket I bought is part of their lightweight line, and isn't heavy like the usual Barbour jacket... and they were on sale.
smile.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone else who shares space with the jacket will hate it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the look of the classic Barbour waxed cotton jackets as long as I can remember. I had my wife bring one back for me from the UK. I could never get used to the wax smell or even the waxy residue. I tried, man did I try. But, after about 10 years I traded it to a friend for some vintage Levis. I've never missed it. There are much better and more practical jackets than waxed cotton IMO.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine has not been as durable as I expected.

And yes I reproof, and I don't wear it hard. Sliding across leather seats can't be that hard on it.

More satisfied with my corduroy LL Bean barncoat. I also have a canvas Carhardt that has been worn hard in the field.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Waxed cotton? Maybe if he lived 300 years ago.

Gee, thanks for your expert opinion.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 7 waxed cotton coats. 2 Barbour, 4 Filson and one Aussie Outback. They may not be ideal for the city folks but out here in the back forty waxed cotton will out last anything else out there. The tin cloth packer I have is like body armor out in the field or on horseback. They are high maintenance as far as a rain resistant coat goes but it's worth it compared to the price of goretex every other week....

EuropeanInterloper Redux

Reaction score
Waxed cotton, as with many other fabrics, underperforms in some situations and outperforms in others. Unfortunately, wax will continue to smell for about three months, depending on how hard you are wearing your jacket and in what conditions. The benefits of the wax are that you will stay dry and, eventually, the jacket will mold to your build. Disadvantages include the smell and the waxy run-off which you will sometimes feel on your hands after it has been raining.

I wore one when I was a child, forgot about it, and then picked one up about two years ago. All the fond memories I had from my childhood were erased when I first wiped my face after a rainstorm and found it smudged in pungent wax. Over time, however, I have warmed to my jacket and recreated all the fond memories of my childhood.

Keep the jacket, wear it. It will mold to you, and you to it.

And don't wipe your face after a rainstorm.

EIx2

bartil

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a Barbour Beaufort Jacket now (the Thornproof version, as I've understood is the "best", and not the Sylkoil version), but I don't know yet wich colour I should choose, sage or rustic? Sage is the "best" colour I think, but EVERYONE in my city already run around in one of those, so it would be pleasant to vary a little with rustic I think. But what I would like to get information from you, is how good the rustic colour will match trousers in tan, mid- and charcoal-greys, olives, and denim-blue? I don't care if it's not the perfect match, but I care more if it's completely wrong, if you know what I mean?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads