• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question re: 4 in hand tie with tuxedo

twister212

Reaction score
Are these only for notch collar tux's?

Could you wear one with a peak collar single breasted?

(I recognize that some of you are ardently against 4 in hands with a tuxedo...this question is for those who have found it in themselves to accept -- and even to enjoy -- this trend.)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Only for vented notch collar tuxes in midnight blue without facings, covered buttons or braid on the trousers. Worn with turndown collar shirt.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twister212

A dinner jacket does not have notched lapels. Peak or shawl collar are your choices.

bob

drax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Only for vented notch collar tuxes in midnight blue without facings, covered buttons or braid on the trousers. Worn with turndown collar shirt.

RJ means that ties should be worn with a suit never with a tux. I agree with him. You'd either look like a waiter or Ryan Seacrest. You choose.

drax

Reaction score
Aha i misread it; I see you have asked only for replies from people who have embraced the tie-with-the-tux thing. Can you hear the tumbleweed.....?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't do it
wink.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that it might look better with a notch collar.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The preferred colour of the shirt here is black. Alternative acceptable colours for the "tux" here are peach and powder blue. Loafers go particularly well with the combination, especially crocodile ones, but any Gucci loafer will do.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you're a movie star with horrible taste, never.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh I forgot, if you do have facings on the peach or powder blue "tux" then it should have crocodile leather facings on notched lapels. I saw this being done to - ahem - dramatic effect on a Versace "tux" once. Should match the crocodile loafers well.

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
I think that if you're going to break the rules and wear a long tie, you may as well do it with either type of jacket. If anything, I would think peak lapel would be better, since then it looks less like a suit and still has some semblance of formal wear.

My question would be how to wear the long tie. Do you wear a vest, or a cummberbund?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(I recognize that some of you are ardently against 4 in hands with a tuxedo...this question is for those who have found it in themselves to accept -- and even to enjoy -- this trend.)

So, you want to know the rules for rule-breaking?
confused.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Funny -

I was just coming on to ask whether I could wear a long silver tie with a white dress shirt and my tux to an event tomorrow evening.

I'm going to try it and see how it looks. The event is black tie optional, so if it looks stupid, I'll just break out a dark blue suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads