• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on the soles of EG Dover

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
I just picked up a pair. The entire sole is double sole from toe to heel counter. I recall the ones I saw in London had soles than were double thickness that tapered to single thickness under the arch.

What soles do your Dovers have?

I have both. The tapered sole that you refer to is known as HAF in EG lingo.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair. The entire sole is double sole from toe to heel counter. I recall the ones I saw in London had soles than were double thickness that tapered to single thickness under the arch.

What soles do your Dovers have?

I have a pair with Dainite and a pair with double soles. They're weekend shoes for me.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What does HAF stand for? Is it a standard feature?

Don't rightly know, but I first encountered it at L'Uomo, Montreal. AFAIK, it's not a standrad feature and usually must be requested at a trunk show.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm.... interesting. The ones off-the-shelf in London had HAF features.

London's offering could certainly be different than what's offered in the States. It wouldn't be the first time.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mine have double soles.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have RLPL's Carters, not Dovers. But they have the HAF.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
The Dovers I got at the London sales -- one pair in June 2006, one pair in January 2005, have double soles, no tapering.

Bic

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a standard, Dover comes with (full) double leather soles or, more casual, with rubber soles. Of course if you want, a made-to-order shoe can come with single leather or a HAF double sole.

Actually, I've never seen a Dover in either single leather or HAF soles. Maybe the EG shop ordered recently a batch of Dover in HAF configuration and, depending on sales figures, might continue to do so or return to the standard full double sole.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
My Ectons have the HAF soles - ordered them with it. Discussed it with Susie - and she may have mentioned the details about the term (something-at-front perhaps?) - but my sieve-like feeble mind cannot recall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads