• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Sock Material

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm having problems getting the right socks (i think). I wear almost exclusively AEs to work (both bluchers and bals)

I bought a few pairs of dress socks (some sort of blended nylon material, not cotton or wool) from Gold Toe last week and quickly found that they were too thin, as my feet had more room than I'd like (going down a size in shoes isn't an option).

So I went back to Gold Toe and purchased a few pairs of their "bamboo" line made of rayon, a thicker sock. Well I quickly found these too large and "spongy." My feet were sweating all day and the spongy feel was both tight in the shoe and annoying.

So today I exchanged them for a few pairs of "Windsor Wool." They are 54% wool and 45% nylon. These seem to be the correct thickness and they don't go up too high (sit a couple inches below the knee).

My question is: are these good quality socks that will last, and is wool a good indicator of that?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my sock wardrobe is all gold toe, maybe I rotate about 15 pairs, none less than 5 years old, most closer to 10. some have faded a little, but haven't gotten a single hole in any of them.

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
My question is: are these good quality socks that will last, and is wool a good indicator of that?

It depends on the wool. Lower quality wool wears out quicker and is less comfortable. I find merino wool to be the best material across the board for socks. It lets your feet breathe and transports moist out of the shoe, without feeling wet like cotton does when you sweat. It's not, as one may think, unsuitable for warm temperatures, quite the opposite.

Merino wool is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I think it's definitely worth it to spend a bit more money on your socks and go for merino wool/nylon (70%+ wool). Pantherella and Marcoliani are good brands.

Batini

Reaction score
I did buy RL last winter and this winter I could usem them as the ski mask. Considering the fact these socks made in England or Japan. May be they changed the quality by this year but I'll not get another shot. I have the same problem like u, my size is 8-8.5 and I always have to fix them. Go with Ziss mentioned brand, 101 things u have to try before u die, one of them Pantherella socks.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Falke socks alsmost exclusively. Make sure the percentage of synthetic materials is as low as possible for they do not really improve the durability but wear warm and uncomfortable. I love Falke's "Bristol" OTC sock: 100% wool, no care issues and they hold up pretty well.

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
I wear Falke socks alsmost exclusively. Make sure the percentage of synthetic materials is as low as possible for they do not really improve the durability but wear warm and uncomfortable. I love Falke's "Bristol" OTC sock: 100% wool, no care issues and they hold up pretty well.

Falke is very good. I haven't tried "Bristol", but "Airport", which is of a merino wool/cotton mix is of high quality and very comfortable.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
my sock wardrobe is all gold toe, maybe I rotate about 15 pairs, none less than 5 years old, most closer to 10. some have faded a little, but haven't gotten a single hole in any of them.

But what type of Gold Toe? All different kinds or do you have a favorite that is clearly their best line?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe that I have "cotton fluffies" at 16 bucks for 3 pair. of course, I bought mine at Costco, so they were about 2 bucks a pair, more or less.

seriously, I have thought about "upgrading" to "better" socks, but my socks are comfortable, don't bag around the ankles, and haven't worn out at all in 8 years. I have asked people about their significally more expensive socks, and nobody seems to be able to say the same.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

uwsmuseumguy

Reaction score
sounds like the problem is the high rayon content. that much synthetic makes for a sauna in your shoes. i tend towards all natural be it cotton, wool, or otherwise with minimal amounts of lycra or spandex.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want to experiment with more expensive socks try Gallo or Falke. Pantherellas are good too but from my experience, they run slightly larger than their stated sizes.

serce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ziss
Falke is very good. I haven't tried "Bristol", but "Airport", which is of a merino wool/cotton mix is of high quality and very comfortable.

I can confirm it. Airport are great socks. For cotton I have good experience with "Firenze".

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
+1236.47 on merino wool socks. Warm in the Winter cool in the Summer and very easy on the feet.

how are they on long life? do you carry any that you would recomend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads