• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Sinn 356 Flieger

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am considering a purchase of the Sinn 356 Flieger (below). I am, however, concerned that the stated 38.5mm case would be a bit small for my wrist.

I typically wear 39-40mm dress watches, and would prefer a more casual 'tool' watch to be a bit bigger. But I also recognize that the advertised case sizes are misleading and vary dramatically from brand to brand.

Can someone with Sinn experience please comment on how these watches run - is a 38.5mm a true 38.5mm - i.e. like one of the VC Patrimony watches, or is it more like Breitling, where even a 38mm still looks big?

Thanks,

395899966_d21f3091ed_o.jpg

ENT

Reaction score
I have a Sinn 656 and think its stated size (38.5mm) is accurate. I'm not sure what size your wrist is, but I don't find this watch to be small at all.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time I hear of advertised case sizes as "misleading"... The way a watch wears on the wrist, and how big it feels, depend on the case size, the case height, the curvature of the back and lugs and the thickness of the bezel (thin bezel watches often appear bigger than thick bezel watches because the dial is larger).

That said, I think the 356 wears like a 39-40mm watch - honestly I cannot tell the difference between a 38.5, 39 and 40mm case watch when on the wrist...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank you both. 'Misleading' was perhaps the wrong word - I did not mean to imply that manufacturers lie, but rather that a 38.5mm watch from one brand oftens wears bigger/smaller than a similarly sized watch from a different brand.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thank you both. 'Misleading' was perhaps the wrong word - I did not mean to imply that manufacturers lie, but rather that a 38.5mm watch from one brand oftens wears bigger/smaller than a similarly sized watch from a different brand.

That's true, especially if case height or bezel are abnormally big or small. The Sinn has neither - overall pretty average proportions

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
I have that watch with the copper guilloche[sp?] dial. I find it to be a good size with sport coats and suits. Something about the shape (I have an acrylic crystal with steel band) makes it slide under the cuff more easily than a watch of comparabe size and thickness. It's a little small compared to the large watches that are popular now, but it is big compared to classic dress watches. I don't know if this helps, but it feels much bigger than my Omega mid size seamaster but substantially smaller than my Sinn 757 UTC - about on par with my Breitling chronomat of early to mid 90's vintage.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a casual tool watch and are used to big watches, I might get something bigger because it is definitely not a big watch by today's standards.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how big are your wrists? i've been looking at a similarly sized watch.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
how big are your wrists? i've been looking at a similarly sized watch.

A little more than 7"

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have nothing to add re: your original post but that is one of my dream watches. i hope you end up getting it! and post pics when you do!

-Jeff

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
i have nothing to add re: your original post but that is one of my dream watches. i hope you end up getting it! and post pics when you do!

-Jeff

Some more pics for you then
smile.gif

01my9.jpg

393223082_2c739bebee_o.jpg

382765593_0239fbca8a.jpg

sinn356eluej0.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Eustace,

I've also faced this decision a year ago when I was planning to buy a 356. It is a very handsome flieger! When I tried it on in the AD, I found it too small for my 7-1/2" wrist. In the end I "settled" with an 856, which runs at 40mm. I strongly suggest that you try them on first, if it's possible.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks. I wonder if the Sinn 103 St Ty may be a better option given its 41mm case size?

sinn103sttyacrylicstrap_966_detail.jpg

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
First time I hear of advertised case sizes as "misleading"... The way a watch wears on the wrist, and how big it feels, depend on the case size, the case height, the curvature of the back and lugs and the thickness of the bezel (thin bezel watches often appear bigger than thick bezel watches because the dial is larger).

That said, I think the 356 wears like a 39-40mm watch - honestly I cannot tell the difference between a 38.5, 39 and 40mm case watch when on the wrist...

Though minor compared to much of what you mentioned, a flat vs domed crystal also has some effect on how big or small the watch wears relative to diameter.

Eustace, both watches look great (nicer looking than the corresponding IWC pilots chronos IMO) - enjoy.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Though minor compared to much of what you mentioned, a flat vs domed crystal also has some effect on how big or small the watch wears relative to diameter.
Interesting point - I never really noticed that (I don't have many domed crystal watches). Which would you say wears bigger or smaller?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads