1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Question on shoe shine. Non-even shoe color.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kontra, Dec 9, 2009.

1. kontra

kontra Well-Known Member

Its kind of a noob question - but how do you shine shoes like that:

[​IMG]

These are almost exactly the ones I own - two pairs of Grenson's very similar to that. The leather is not the same color all the way - the color gradients towards the toes becoming a shade darker.
    I was advised to just use the neutral polish by some people - but then was advised against it by others (it leaves some white residue?)
    I shined my own shoes for as long as I remember - but I never had to do something like that and I dont want to take them anywhere.

2. srivats

srivats Senior member

Use darker polish on toes and heels, and lighter polish elsewhere. Getting a nice gradient is not easy, but it is not impossibly hard either.

3. ajv

ajv Senior member

I would use Saphir's Fawn (#19) shoe wax.

4. in fits of print

in fits of print Well-Known Member

I wouldn't polish those shoes at all. Just clean them.

5. kontra

kontra Well-Known Member

Use darker polish on toes and heels, and lighter polish elsewhere. Getting a nice gradient is not easy, but it is not impossibly hard either.

-Im having hard time to imagine the process of blending two color polishes together to create a gradient.

I wouldn't polish those shoes at all. Just clean them.

- How would you clean them? The color is almost exactly the same as pictured - Im really afraid to use conditioners as they darken the leather.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Nice Grensons.
    With that 'two-tone' finish, here is how I do it.
    For the lighter areas, I use very small amounts of leather lotion with my finger. No polish.
    For the darker areas, the same, unless there are scuffs you want to deal with.
    If there are scuffs, you can take a tiny bit of burgundy creme polish, mix with a bit of leather lotion,
    and apply thinly and quickly over the darker areas. Cutting the polish with lotion gives you those extra seconds to play with. Because the burgundy is so thinly applied, you'll be amazed that it alost exactly matches the original color.
    Let dry 30 min then brush. Use tow different brushes. One for the lighter areas, the other for the darker.

7. kontra

kontra Well-Known Member

- any leather lotion you'd reccomend? Or at least what it'd be based on? Mink oil?