• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Shaggy Dog Fit

style_geek

Reaction score
I bought a J Press Shaggy dog sweater....my first jump into shetland sweaters.

So I got the Trim Fit in Small size (their smallest size) - see picture . In general, I feel pretty ok about chest (its a little bulky but ok) and length is great but a few things I noticed:
1) shoulders and arm are baggy
2) neck area kind doesn't leave a lot of space when compared with other crewneck sweaters I have

I can't size down anymore to fix shoulders so curious if people think this look is sloppy. Not sure how Shaggy dogs are supposed to look in general. If people agree, I may need to find another brand that has even trimmer fits (if that even exists). As a heads up, I'm about 5'9 and 155 pounds...so a little on the slender side.

Attachments

• shaggy dog sweater.png
    shaggy dog sweater.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 809

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I bought a J Press Shaggy dog sweater....my first jump into shetland sweaters.

So I got the Trim Fit in Small size (their smallest size) - see picture . In general, I feel pretty ok about chest (its a little bulky but ok) and length is great but a few things I noticed:
1) shoulders and arm are baggy
2) neck area kind doesn't leave a lot of space when compared with other crewneck sweaters I have

I can't size down anymore to fix shoulders so curious if people think this look is sloppy. Not sure how Shaggy dogs are supposed to look in general. If people agree, I may need to find another brand that has even trimmer fits (if that even exists). As a heads up, I'm about 5'9 and 155 pounds...so a little on the slender side.

Looks good to me. I think bigger sleeves are more flattering. Same with chest. That being said, I think I would wear the waistband a little higher and roll the cuffs a little further back. If you want smaller, try Shetland Woollen Co. (from End or Northern Fells). Pretty sure they are both made by the same maker (Laurence Odie). The SWC ones may be more heavily brushed.

The thing that makes sweaters look too big is almost always length. The ribbing at the bottom of the sweater should be good enough that you can adjust where the sweater falls, but sometimes it isn't quite good enough.

style_geek

Reaction score
Looks good to me. I think bigger sleeves are more flattering. Same with chest. That being said, I think I would wear the waistband a little higher and roll the cuffs a little further back. If you want smaller, try Shetland Woollen Co. (from End or Northern Fells). Pretty sure they are both made by the same maker (Laurence Odie). The SWC ones may be more heavily brushed.

The thing that makes sweaters look too big is almost always length. The ribbing at the bottom of the sweater should be good enough that you can adjust where the sweater falls, but sometimes it isn't quite good enough.
so are they supposed to fit more like a coat than like a crewneck sweater? I'm just curious how much of my vibe is a function of 1) shetland style vs 2) J Press trad (baggier vs slimmer clothes). If its one, I deal with it. If its 2, I may need to find something else.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
so are they supposed to fit more like a coat than like a crewneck sweater? I'm just curious how much of my vibe is a function of 1) shetland style vs 2) J Press trad (baggier vs slimmer clothes). If its one, I deal with it. If its 2, I may need to find something else.

This is how a crewneck sweater is supposed to fit, imo--but maybe a bit shorter through the body would be preferable. Again, you don't want to wear the sweater all the way down, you should pull the waist ribbing up some so the sweater ends higher up. This will make the sizing look much better.

Sweaters can fit different ways, but this is the type of fit I and many others like. That being said, I normally wear an ocbd under my sweaters. The collar sticks out the top and the cuffs stick out about a quarter inch at the end of the sleeves. In my experience, adding a shirt like this helps the size look more appropriate. Otherwise, the sweater can look oversized.

Tighter sleeves look less masculine. The bigger sleeve makes your arms look a bit bigger. A tigher sleeve is also less comfortable and less durable through the elbows. I think a bigger chest is also flattering. Rubato, which is a brand that is pretty popular on here, does very full chests. The place you don't want a sweater too big is length. That's what makes a sweater look too big.

Whenever you are trying a garment-type that is new to you, it will take several wears to 1) learn how to wear that type of garment, and 2) get used to how that type of garment looks on you.

Now, there is some chance that this doesn't fit. It looks fine from the angle you gave, but perhaps from another it wouldn't???

style_geek

Reaction score
This is how a crewneck sweater is supposed to fit, imo--but maybe a bit shorter through the body would be preferable. Again, you don't want to wear the sweater all the way down, you should pull the waist ribbing up some so the sweater ends higher up. This will make the sizing look much better.

Sweaters can fit different ways, but this is the type of fit I and many others like. That being said, I normally wear an ocbd under my sweaters. The collar sticks out the top and the cuffs stick out about a quarter inch at the end of the sleeves. In my experience, adding a shirt like this helps the size look more appropriate. Otherwise, the sweater can look oversized.

Tighter sleeves look less masculine. The bigger sleeve makes your arms look a bit bigger. A tigher sleeve is also less comfortable and less durable through the elbows. I think a bigger chest is also flattering. Rubato, which is a brand that is pretty popular on here, does very full chests. The place you don't want a sweater too big is length. That's what makes a sweater look too big.

Whenever you are trying a garment-type that is new to you, it will take several wears to 1) learn how to wear that type of garment, and 2) get used to how that type of garment looks on you.

Now, there is some chance that this doesn't fit. It looks fine from the angle you gave, but perhaps from another it wouldn't???
fair. thanks for the follow-up. I'm debating whether to keep or return so I will think on it a bit. Its helpful to have context.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads