• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question on RLBL / PRL Suits

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi - I am so confused by all the different suits and cuts Ralph Lauren has.

I am looking for one that is 3 button, double vented in a blue stripe made of the 95% wool / 5% cashmere blend. I am pretty sure I have seen this in Saks before, but no longer. All of the models I see on line are pleated (or at least say they are pleated - pics look like they may be flat-front) and /or are single vented.

Anyone know if this combo of specs exist - I believe it may be the Polo Ralph Lauren label, but just haven't been able to find it. thanks!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Sounds like a Jermyn IV. Check ebay.

Jerome IV ?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerome suits have forward double-pleated pants though...

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren "Polo" (aka blue lable) suits have many iterations.

Polo I = 2 button
Polo II = 3 button
Polo III = 2 button, higher armhole, ticket pocket
Polo IV = 3 button, hirger armhole, ticket pocket

At the Ralph Lauren store, these all have pleated pants.

RL also makes other suits that are sold at department stores. The Congressman is one. It comes in 2 button and 3 button models, comes with flat front pants, but generally has single vent. The Bleecker is like the Congressman model--maybe a little slimmer.

Since RL does not want to sell the same thing at both the RL stores and the department stores, you will find RL stores and dept stores sell the same shoes but in slightly different colors and the same suits with slight modifications. This is a long winded way of saying Blomingdales has RL Polo II suits (3 button, dual vents) with flat front pants, probably heavily discounted.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super helpful - thanks! and i definitely appreciate the long version!

Originally Posted by BABuckeye

Polo I = 2 button
Polo II = 3 button

RL also makes other suits that are sold at department stores. The Congressman is one. It comes in 2 button and 3 button models, comes with flat front pants, but generally has single vent. The Bleecker is like the Congressman model--maybe a little slimmer.

Since RL does not want to sell the same thing at both the RL stores and the department stores, you will find RL stores and dept stores sell the same shoes but in slightly different colors and the same suits with slight modifications. This is a long winded way of saying Blomingdales has RL Polo II suits (3 button, dual vents) with flat front pants, probably heavily discounted.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the models i have seen describe the fabric as flax or wool / flax. What is that like?

Originally Posted by BABuckeye

Polo I = 2 button
Polo II = 3 button

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Flax is linen. If you see flax or a flax/wool blend, it is likely a spring/summer weight. Adding wool to the flax makes it less prone to wrinkle than plain linen. Flax and flax/wool suits likely have some texture in the fabric, so they are less formal and less likely to be in a banker's business suit rotation.

If you're building your professioal wardrobe, start with navy or charcoal wool in a weight that you can wear year round. Wool drapes well, breathes well, travels well, doesn't need to be dry cleaned after each wearing, blah, blah , blah.

After you have your basic suit (or suits, or suits and sportcoats), then add some "seasonal" items like flannel for the fall/winter and linen (aka flax) for the spring/summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads