• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Poli Sci.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to GW. It's really not all its cracked up to be. Maybe it will turn around once Trachtenberg is officially gone. Wait, he already is.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
What led you to majoring in history, if I may ask. I get the passion part but where did you think that would take you career-wise?
For a few years, I dreamt of getting a PhD and becoming a professor. Being around professors has made me realize that career path isn't all that great. Maybe I'll double major. Who knows.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You dont need political science major to get a job at capitol hill, connie.

You need to get your **** right, know what you want, apply for available internships there.

Try The Washington Center (google it). I hope you have good grades.

Or like they say, become a paige
rimshot.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
You dont need political science major to get a job at capitol hill, connie.

You need to get your **** right, know what you want, apply for available internships there.

Try The Washington Center (google it). I hope you have good grades.

Or like they say, become a paige
rimshot.gif

Yeah, grades will be quite good by the time I apply (over 3.5 GPA for certain). I checked out the Washington Center...some of their placement agencies/companies/dept.'s are very interesting. Is it imperative that I get an internship with a Member to weasel my way into a position as an LC or SA? Or is this just the traditional method?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who hires (and fires!) apiring politicos, I'd say that History is just as good a field as poli sci. Ideally, you'd take coursework in both.

If you are really interested in setting yourself up to actually be of some value to a Member, I'd suggest courses in Econ, business, engineering, taxation, and other things that people of my party know nothing about.

My two best recent hires have been English majors.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
If you are really interested in setting yourself up to actually be of some value to a Member, I'd suggest courses in Econ, business, engineering, taxation, and other things that people of my party know nothing about.
Completely agree.

Whenever I am back in Australia I am asked to guest lecture PR students at my alma mater, or otherwise, my old professor organises a meet-n-greet for her masters students with me so they can pick my brain.

I always get asked questions about majors and course loads and so forth - and these students tend to be communications faculty students who seem to think that employers want them to Foster Their Creativity. We dont, we want them to make us money, understand our clients, and be able to process things in terms of numbers. Give me a solid business unit over a flaky creative any day. So I tell them to get their accounting sharp, get their economics sharp, get their negotiations sharp etc...and then they look at me mortified cos they seem to think public relations is cute n fluffy.

I tell them that that is all good n well, and to not send me their CV.

So - Conne - I would suggest you take Checks' advice there and get the solid business skills that the other grads in your class may lack. There will be lots of people that can argue political spectra and bore your employer senseless - hell, that's why we have Manton - very few that understand the practical realities of the working environment.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As someone who hires (and fires!) apiring politicos, I'd say that History is just as good a field as poli sci. Ideally, you'd take coursework in both.

My two best recent hires have been English majors.

So in other words, an M.A. in some field of policy is a smart move?

I thought about a J.D., but...eh, law doesn't have much appeal for me. Although I do find tax law interesting.

WSW

Reaction score
He's still at that stage in life where he's confused and exploring.

Spudbunny

Reaction score

It says a lot about our current condition that I cannot guess which party he is talking about.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yeah, grades will be quite good by the time I apply (over 3.5 GPA for certain). I checked out the Washington Center...some of their placement agencies/companies/dept.'s are very interesting.

For what it's worth, Connie, I've sent at least half a dozen students to TWC interships and they have all loved it. Two recent examples:

Internship with the DOJ doing local law enforcement liaison (sp?) stuff with lawyers from the Community Law Division (that could be wrong). She really loved it and it solidified her decision to go to law school (where she just finished her first year).

Internship with Treasury in the spring semester that got extended into the summer. I'm not sure where she is now.

All of my (former) students have cited the great lectures, classes, and opportunities to meet people for networking, advice, mentoring, etc.

b

migo

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that the grad students here (GWU) are all uber qualified and that thing...most of them are like Connie...wanting to work on the hill or w/e. From what I've heard, our school has a lot of contacts, and getting internships and stuff on the hill isn't too difficult.

Originally Posted by GoSurface
I go to GW. It's really not all its cracked up to be. Maybe it will turn around once Trachtenberg is officially gone. Wait, he already is.

I've not heard much about Knapp, but does it look as if he'll be good?

WSW

Reaction score
Thanks for the props, LD. My life is now complete.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads