Question on Oxxford factory-attached buttons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Billingsgate, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Billingsgate

Billingsgate Member

I've looked closely at their sleeves, and I don't see a very wide margin on the sleeve panel.

I really wonder whether functional buttonholes are possible with them. Can anyone offer anything definitive?

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

3. Billingsgate

Billingsgate Member

Thanks for the response, but I think I miscast my question. I know that functional buttonholes are possible on MTM and, for that matter, any sleeve that isn't finished.

My question was whether I would have any problem getting rid of Oxxford's factory-attached buttons and getting working buttonholes. Oxxford seems to have a narrower panel than most, and I was just wondering whether it was possible.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

My question was whether I would have any problem getting rid of Oxxford's factory-attached buttons and getting working buttonholes.

There is absolutely no problem with factory attached buttons being converted to working buttonholes. Oxxford tailors their jackets in anticipation of this event.

5. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

I think they do that just so the buttons don't get lost, I thought the same thing and called Oxxford and asked them. They are actually pretty nice with questions like that.

Having been screwed out of buttons several times on ebay, I can't say I disagree.

6. Billingsgate

Billingsgate Member

I thank you very much.

7. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I think they do that just so the buttons don't get lost, I thought the same thing and called Oxxford and asked them. They are actually pretty nice with questions like that.

Having been screwed out of buttons several times on ebay, I can't say I disagree.

I think it is also due to people who buy the jacket off the rack and wear it without any alterations. You know, those people who like to wear their sleeves at the knuckles.

8. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Well, I bought an Oxxford off ebay. Went to a local tailor who said she could do working holes. Picked it up and not working. Regularly fastened as in most other lower brands. Took it to a tailor in La Jolla who finished it beautifully yesterday. Wore it today and it looked great! Left that one last button unbuttoned as is stylish. And, I do think that little detail is a good touch.

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I've had functional buttonholes on many an Oxxford with any problems.

10. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

with what problems?