• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on my Borrelli shirt...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
So yesterday I received my first package from the Gilt sale, a Borrelli striped dress shirt.

First of all - damn. And I mean, damn, I never really looked at them in any stores in town (I just can't justify $470 for a shirt and they never have 14.5" on sale). It's stunning, I can't wait to recieve the other I ordered today.

But I have a quick (and likely dumb) question. On the front side, about half way up, there's a thick white thread that's sewn on. Right after the thread you can clearly see where they hand stiched to the bottom of the shirt. The thread is clear as day - is it meant to stay on, or should it be taken off?

Thank you!

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stays on, that feature is found on all Borrelli clothes (at least that I've handled).

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to piss on your Borrelli parade there, but no amount of handwork can beat a well-fit shirt.

How does your Borrelli shirt fit?

element02

Reaction score
If the shirt came with a booklet, look on p. 8. It talks about borrelli's tradition of hand stitching the bottom part of the front placket. You'll also see this at the sleeve gauntlet. You can also read about it on their website.

Enjoy your new Borrelli shirts!

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by element02
If the shirt came with a booklet, look on p. 8. It talks about borrelli's tradition of hand stitching the bottom part of the front placket. You'll also see this at the sleeve gauntlet. You can also read about it on their website.

Enjoy your new Borrelli shirts!

Which is great untill you have to shorten the extremly long 35 inch sleeves.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
you and your urine, always raining on people's parades

Giving ************* is one of my specialties
bigstar[1].gif
, and I know quite a few around here enjoy it, so I'm not shy about flaunting my mad skillz.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it actually fits very well - I'm surprised, usually I have to order things very slim. I do agree about nothing better than a shirt that fits great (over handwork). My Thom Browne shirts fit me great for that super-slim TB look, though I am not trying to achieve that same look with Borrelli shirts. The thing that concerned me most about the Borrelli was the fit of the shoulders and chest, which I am pleasantly surprised that the shirt fits me very well here. The back-bottom does billow a little bit and I might have this taken in slightly, but it's not bad at all.

I did read that little book about the handwork in the front placket, I just wasn't sure if I should keep that thread on or if it's meant to be removed upon purchase.

And somebody mentioned the sleeves - this is the one thing that's a little bit too long for me. I'm worried about just handing it to any tailor since there's so much hand work that I would prefer not to mess up. Does anybody have any advice as to where I should go to have these shortened a little? My normal tailor is Mak's on 83rd and Lex (he's always done fantastic work for me).

Thank you for all of the help (and for the *************).

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Giving ************* is one of my specialties
bigstar[1].gif
, and I know quite a few around here enjoy it, so I'm not shy about flaunting my mad skillz.

eek.gif

mmhollis

Reaction score
I got my first Borrelli shirt from a seller on here last year and have enjoyed Borrelli ever since that day myself! I share your enthusiasm.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So jealous, the one I wanted was bought right out from under me! LOL Post some pics when you have a chance. And congratulations.
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
So jealous, the one I wanted was bought right out from under me! LOL Post some pics when you have a chance. And congratulations.
smile.gif

I had the Barker Black shoes and the 3-button Borrelli suit taken from me, just seconds into the sale! I ended up getting the 2 Borrelli dress shirt and a John Varvatos plaid shirt for my "come home put on something comfortable and relax" moods.

And I'd love to post pictures - but I don't want to get eaten up by criticism here! Maybe just the shirts and not the shirts being worn....

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I had the Barker Black shoes and the 3-button Borrelli suit taken from me, just seconds into the sale! I ended up getting the 2 Borrelli dress shirt and a John Varvatos plaid shirt for my "come home put on something comfortable and relax" moods.

And I'd love to post pictures - but I don't want to get eaten up by criticism here! Maybe just the shirts and not the shirts being worn....

Wow, that is frustrating. It was my first Gilt rodeo and I will not be so timid next time!

Nahhh, don't worry about criticism. Maybe you'll get some comments that you find helpful, and you can disregard the rest.
smile.gif
I'm curious about how full or slim these shirts fit RTW, as I'm going to acquire a few through other means.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Yeah, I've learned the tricks of the trade for Gilt - but even then it's part luck sometimes.

As a comparison regarding shirts I have worn, the Borrelli shirts feel a bit slimmer than Brooks Brothers slim fit. I can lay one on top of the other to see more specifically, I tend to use BB as my comparison for the rest. The sleeves are perfect in width, not billowy at all, but clearly not a skinny fit shirt.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the sleeve length, I'd like to get that adjusted...

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I just wasn't sure if I should keep that thread on or if it's meant to be removed upon purchase.

It's called a 'bar-tack', a decorative reinforcement. - It stays on!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka