• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Italian Bespoke Shoes

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recently received this price list from a bespoke shoemaker, but am having trouble understanding the various construction methods listed:

Dear Sir,

The prices for hand-made bespoke shoes are:

- €650,00 for Black manufactures
- €950 for Norwegian manufactures
- €1100 for GoodYear manufactures

Now, I know that Italian shoemakers use the term "Goodyear" to describe the location of the stitching and not the use of a goodyear machine. But:

1. Is Norwegian = Norvogese? If so, shouldn't it be more expensive than the Goodyear?

2. Also, what is "Black" construction? Initially I thought it may mean Blake, but I understand Blake / Rapid to be glued, and so, it would not be a handmade shoe.

Anyone know the correct answer?

ET

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Black is a misspelling/mistransliteration of Blake. Blake is a form of machine stitching; the manner in which it is performed means that a shoe cannot be hand stitched in that way.

Neither Blake nor Blake-Rapid are glued.

Norvogese [sic] ought to be Norwegian. Not sure why it's cheaper than Goodyear here.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks guys. But shouldn't the Norvogese be more expensive than the Goodyear, given the handstitching involved?

Also, how can a Blake or Blake / Rapid shoe be handmade? I understand its not glued, but if there is one row of stitching inside the shoe it has to be done by machine. Is that right?

EDIT: Saw RJs edits.

Anyone else know?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Also, how can a Blake or Blake / Rapid shoe be handmade? I understand its not glued, but if there is one row of stitching inside the shoe it has to be done by machine. Is that right?

Meh, dunno. I suppose the artisan in question may be liberal with the definition of "hand-made", rather like Armani's use of "'hand made' to measure" to describe his new pseudo-custom line. Still, this shoemaker may create an individual last for you so that the shoes are bespoke and might do some hand stitching if the design calls for it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I suspect the same - custom last but the shoe is machine stitched.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There are also custom shoemakers who have a factory make your last based on your measurements. From what I've heard they do a good job.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
There are also custom shoemakers who have a factory make your last based on your measurements. From what I've heard they do a good job.

That sounds like an awesome value. I don't need the lightest construction and finer leather, just a nicely fitting shoe. Isn't this what Tricker's does?

citoyen

Reaction score
i think the italian definition to what is "handmade" is one of the loosest definitions...like anything that had hand-contact is "handmade"...

concerning the
blake / blake rapid issue i humbly quote my own posting....*ehrm*

i think as well the artisan might have mixed up black/blake...perhaps due to pronounciation...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
That sounds like an awesome value. I don't need the lightest construction and finer leather, just a nicely fitting shoe. Isn't this what Tricker's does?

Yes.

Thanks citoyen.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
afaik there are 3versions of norvegese
The simplest is blake with norwegese finish ...

As for the correct builup from this particular maufacturer you might have to ask them.

I am intregued by Peron&Peron ...

janne melkersson

Reaction score
Blake stitched could of course be done by hand. That is the way it was done until Blake invented the machine and is still in practice for those who couldn't afford to buy a machine or those who for other reasons decide to sew it by hand..

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks janne and speedster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads