• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Fit

sajohnson05

Reaction score
I am a muscular guy at 5'10 about 185 and i usually in Samuleson wear a 42 regular but my last Billy Reid suit i got a 44r and a 42r and on the 42r they had to widen the back about an inch. My question is regarding RL Black label should i get a 44r in that instead of a 42 because i have heard that they run slim. Then in a Hickey Freeman should i go down a size so i can get that slim fit? I do not live close to wear i can try either one of these items on and am wanting to buy a few items over the internet. I have searched this forum on fit and could not find what i was looking for. Any help would be great.

Seth

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sajohnson05
I do not live close to wear i can try either one of these items on and am wanting to buy a few items over the internet.
If that's the case, the only advice I can give you is to make sure your purchase is returnable, refundable or can be exchanged for a different size

billiebob

Reaction score
Sizing down to account for "slim fit" doesn't always work. Slim shoulders don't necessarily mean a slim chest. It really depends on the cut. Some Polo suits (the Bleeker model for example) appears to be designed for skinny guys in general, not those with big shoulders and small waist.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want to make sure that you have your shoulder, chest and waist measurements, and the corresponding measurements on whatever jacket you buy before you buy it, and also that you can return the item if it doesn't work out.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a muscular guy at 5'10 about 185 and i usually in Samuleson wear a 42 regular but my last Billy Reid suit i got a 44r and a 42r and on the 42r they had to widen the back about an inch. My question is regarding RL Black label should i get a 44r in that instead of a 42 because i have heard that they run slim. Then in a Hickey Freeman should i go down a size so i can get that slim fit? I do not live close to wear i can try either one of these items on and am wanting to buy a few items over the internet. I have searched this forum on fit and could not find what i was looking for. Any help would be great.
Seth

As for Hickey-Freeman, if you see my "What are you wearing right now" posts:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=14885
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=15379
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=15636
you can see me in the HF sportcoats I have; both are 42R in the Madison model.

I'm 5'11" and about 195lbs, and of average athleticism, but mostly running and racquet sports, I don't lift weights or anything.

All I can say is that if you're not sure of your size and are buying off the 'net, better have a good return policy.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go for 44 in the RL. As to HF (I am also muscular and ~ 185), I find the 42R to be a bit tight and the 44R to be rather boxy. See i you can find the elusive 43R.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...7&d=1202746395
http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...6&d=1202746388

That is a picture of me in one my billy reid's this is a 44 r.

Thanks for all the help so far.

This looks a bit tight on you, especially at the waist. I can't imagine what the 42R would look like
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads