• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Filson bags

Tibo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering buying a Filson bag to carry my laptop around the airports, client sites and other fantastic places where my job is taking me. I'm basically looking for something not too big and less dull than the classic laptop bag. Would the model 256 fit the bill if I put the laptop in a neoprene sleeve before ? Or is the bag going to be too small/light to fit a laptop and some documents, and should I go for the 257 ? Style 256 Style 257 Any feedback from Filson users welcome! -T.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
your links both go to the same bag. don't know how big your laptop is, but the filson site gives bag dimensions. the 256 is listed as 4" - iirc the 257 is a little bigger, and's got some bells & whistles. the 257 definitely has some padding, but if you're supplying a neoprene sleeve the 256 should be ok. don't worry about 'light' - in fact, if you get one of these you may find yourself wishing you had sought out a lighter bag....

Tibo

Reaction score
Link corrected thanks. What do you mean with your last sentence? Are those bags heavy?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
257 is a standard medium size bag which can hold a laptop plus a lot of accessories.

256 is kind of a slimline size, if you have a smaller laptop and like to travel light, this may work for you.

like roma said though, these are not lightweight bags. 22 oz cloth which has been dipped in wax + super heavy leather accents and solid metal hardware.

as far as your actual laptop, you must do measurements to make sure it fits, no way around it.

Tibo

Reaction score
My laptop is a 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T61

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the filson 258...slightly bigger than the 257. Before I got this bag, I had a messanger type bag and a seperate school bag for books and my mac book. I can carry everything in the 258 now.
And like others have said, it is not a "light" bag...its very stiff and has substantial metal hardware.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I took my 257 on a recent trip and it worked very well. I have a Tom Bihn Soft Cell sleeve. I like having the extra room of the 257 personally, but it depends on how much you want to carry besides the laptop. If it's just a few documents (not books, etc) then the 256 might work fine.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I took my 257 on a recent trip and it worked very well. I have a Tom Bihn Soft Cell sleeve. I like having the extra room of the 257 personally, but it depends on how much you want to carry besides the laptop. If it's just a few documents (not books, etc) then the 256 might work fine.

Nah... I'm a consultant, we don't do books, we just do PPT decks
bounce2.gif

Thanks for the advice, I might go for the 256 I think.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
If you do end up buying a Filson, make sure it's through Crane's, a forum affiliate. You can find their link at the top of this page. There are discount codes on this site as well, bringing the price of the 256 to around $140 or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads