• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on federal job applications

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of the jobs I'm looking at (GS-7) require that the applicant have "1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 level." Now, I've had experience in almost everything they list...but not for a consecutive year in a full-time job. Between the part-time jobs/internships in college and my most recent gig, it's certainly been over a year...but is it a lie to say yes, I have 1 year of that experience?

Thanks.

videocrew

Reaction score
Want me to ask our HR guy? I don't think it has to be consecutive, cumulative is probably fine, GS-7 for college grads is pretty standard, no one expects you to have some kind of crazy experience.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually yes, I would greatly appreciate that! Thanks.

matdottcom1

Reaction score
Most federal job applications for entry level jobs also have a disclaimer that education can be substituted for work experience.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a college degree is sufficient to qualify for gs-7.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^That's what everyone tells me, but a lot of these jobs have that 1-year-experience clause.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Federal Govt job applications are a massive pain ********** to complete. There should be conflicting clauses one saying 1year exp and another giving the educational level equivalent. In that case you will be substituting education experience for work experience and they will require a copy of your transcripts with your application packet.

PS - When in doubt call the HR contact on the job announcement. They may be rude so be prepared with your list of questions.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Some of the jobs I'm looking at (GS-7) require that the applicant have "1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 level." Now, I've had experience in almost everything they list...but not for a consecutive year in a full-time job. Between the part-time jobs/internships in college and my most recent gig, it's certainly been over a year...but is it a lie to say yes, I have 1 year of that experience?

Thanks.

GS-7.
laugh.gif
n00b.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

Thanks.

My anecdotal experience as a supervisor in one federal agency is that answering "yes" would be consistent with how that provision is usually interpreted. In other words, it's probably fair to aggregate from disparate job/internship experiences. That question is just there so that a low-level clerical person or contractor can weed out the obviously unqualified candidates before passing on the list of qualified candidates to someone who can make more qualitative, judgment-driven decisions.

BP348

Reaction score
Like everyone else I think as long as the total time is over 1 year you're OK. Plus the education helps. When all else fails I know there is a phone number you can call to ask questions.

Are you using usajobs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads