Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question on Cost vs. Value

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tempotantrum, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Tempotantrum

Tempotantrum New Member

Hi everyone- I recently discovered the forum and have enjoyed absorbing all the information. My first question concerns a recent purchase I made of a new (sleeves not yet finished) HF blazer custom made for Saks. I assume this was a MTM that the customer was unsatisfied with for some reason because the tag has no sizing. The jacket has full canvassing, nice material and pick stiching on lapels and pockets. I took a chance on it at $250 because I have no navy blazer at the moment and in todays corporate world - that is probably the most versitile piece to own. My question has to do with cost vs. value - I assume this jacket cost in the $1300 range and it will need the sleeves finished and some taking in on the sides. I would also like to have it shortened 1" - the tailor I use is a suitmaker who I trust but they are on the higher side of pricing. I know shortening is risky so I wouldnt consider it with anyone else, but the cost will be about $250 for everything. Is this a reasonable investment ($500 all in) for a jacket of this caliber?

2. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

That depends on how well it fits you. From what I hear, shortening jackets usually don't turn out well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

3. Tempotantrum

Tempotantrum New Member

It fits nicely- with the sides narrowed a bit it will be very nice, just longer tha I would like.