Question on Correct Trouser Lenght?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Panzeraxe II, May 24, 2006.

1. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

My trouser length is perfectly tailored for when I'm standing still - nice break at the shoe, hosiery appropriately covered etc. However, when I start walking the trouser cuffs move off my shoe and start showing a bit of sock. Should I have them tailored a quarter inch longer, or am I just being overly picky here?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

My trouser length is perfectly tailored for when I'm standing still - nice break at the shoe, hosiery appropriately covered etc. However, when I start walking the trouser cuffs move off my shoe and start showing a bit of sock. Should I have them tailored a quarter inch longer, or am I just being overly picky here?

Pictures? One including the entire suit would help as balance and overall style would be obvious.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I agree that pictures would help. But showing a bit of sock while walking is hard to avoid with a decent length and not at all objectionable, if, of course, the socks are well chosen.

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Yeah, as long as you aren't showing white ribbing, I think it'll be okay.

5. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I had this very conversation with my girlfriend about a week ago. She thought I'd be foolish to adapt my cuffs to my walking motion and end up with cuffs that were a smidge longer than ideal while stationary. Upon reflection, I had to agree with her. But if you can live with the extra 1/8", go for it. I just think cuffs with too much break can easily sabotage an entire outfit.

6. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I agree that pictures would help. But showing a bit of sock while walking is hard to avoid with a decent length and not at all objectionable, if, of course, the socks are well chosen.

I agree. I'd take that money and buy some swanky socks.