1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question on cleaning wooden toggles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ang_kangkong, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ang_kangkong

ang_kangkong Senior Member

I have a toggle coat, and the toggles are made of what looks like wood, with varnish, attached to the coat with rope, or what looks like rope. Do I just send it off to the dry cleaners, or is there a special thing I should do to keep the wood from damage. I think I read I should wrap them in something, but I can't remember what.

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Have the cleaner remove the wood before cleaning then have them sewn back on. You may have to look for a dry cleaning service that will do that for you.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I agree with KB. A good drycleaner will remove MOP buttons from a sportcat as well. It costs you extra, but it's better than a broken button.

4. ang_kangkong

Wow, didn't even see that one coming.

Anybody know a dry cleaning place that does that in NY?

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I'm not sure about toggles, but on some wood or unusual buttons I've seen them covered with foil before cleaning. The cleaner will do that on his own if it's necessary. I think it would be best to remove them, though.

6. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Wow, didn't even see that one coming.

Anybody know a dry cleaning place that does that in NY?

Where are you? Downtown, Chris French & Meurice have good reputations....

7. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Meurice is good, but can be excruciatingly expensive. They wanted something like $75 to dryclean a cotton dress of my wifes (which cost $100). Took it to the regular cleaner, and they did the job for less than $10.

Also, when they removed the buttons on a sportcoat of mine to dryclean it after a stain, they did a terrible job attaching them. They fixed it when I asked, but still.

8. ang_kangkong

I work around 17th Street. But I think anywhere in Manhattan is doable. I just don't want to be disappointed when I get it back.

9. ang_kangkong