• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on altering pants 32" to 30"

lemonbishop

Reaction score
Hello,

Trying to learn something here, so thanks any help.

I was looking for some flat front trousers in a 30" waist, and stopped in at Neimen Marcus. They had a total of zero 30" pants (flat front). The salesman had me try on some 32"s. These were too big (obviously) in the waist, but also through the seat and legs. He indicated that trimming the waist, the seat and the legs was no problem whatsoever, and referred to it as everyday alteration. I should not give it another thought.

I looked through the archives here, and some have indicated that this is indeed no problem, and it is not even very costly (as little as $15), but it should be done by a tailor, and not any old dry cleaner/alterations shop. Others have indicated that the waist should be removed and the pants re-cut, and this might cost $150. Others still, feel that if the seat does not fit right, forget the pants altogether.

I wear a 38" jacket, so I would have to have this done to the pants of basically any suit I might buy. So, I would hope it is an easy, everyday thing. Also, I have found that the RLPL and RLBL pants fit great in a 30" waist. In searching ebay and elswhere, 30" is less common, and I would like to know if I can just as easily pick up 32"s and get the same great fit (post altering) as the 30"s, for a reasonable cost and without weird or 'almost right' results.

thanks.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have had this type of alteration done many times. However, very seldom has the alteration been a success.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had several pairs of pants slimmed down in the seat/thigh/leg by a competent tailor, who did a nice job. He's not a high-end tailor, but also not a dry cleaner.

However, if you're looking to alter the pants down 2 full sizes, you are pushing the limits of a mere alteration and moving into major surgery territory.

I would not buy 32s and have them altered merely out of perceived lack of options. It is an expensive and risky solution to a problem that may be better solved by expanding your search for 30" trousers to various online outlets, etc.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does this then leave one if he has a > 6in. drop and wants to purchase a suit? My jacket size is 38 and my waist is a 29. Should I be resigned to the prospect of sinking major $s into retailoring the pants from the 32 that would come standard with the suit?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
What does this then leave one if he has a > 6in. drop and wants to purchase a suit? My jacket size is 38 and my waist is a 29. Should I be resigned to the prospect of sinking major $s into retailoring the pants from the 32 that would come standard with the suit?
Other than MTM or purchasing separates, he has no alternative except to have the pants altered. I have a significant drop that creates the same problem for me, which is one of the reasons I switched to MTM. However, I've now found an OTR brand that I like, and a tailor that does an excellent job on my pants. The alteration can be done, but a competent tailor is essential.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemonbishop
Hello,

Trying to learn something here, so thanks any help.

I was looking for some flat front trousers in a 30" waist, and stopped in at Neimen Marcus. They had a total of zero 30" pants (flat front). The salesman had me try on some 32"s. These were too big (obviously) in the waist, but also through the seat and legs. He indicated that trimming the waist, the seat and the legs was no problem whatsoever, and referred to it as everyday alteration. I should not give it another thought.

I looked through the archives here, and some have indicated that this is indeed no problem, and it is not even very costly (as little as $15), but it should be done by a tailor, and not any old dry cleaner/alterations shop. Others have indicated that the waist should be removed and the pants re-cut, and this might cost $150. Others still, feel that if the seat does not fit right, forget the pants altogether.

I wear a 38" jacket, so I would have to have this done to the pants of basically any suit I might buy. So, I would hope it is an easy, everyday thing. Also, I have found that the RLPL and RLBL pants fit great in a 30" waist. In searching ebay and elswhere, 30" is less common, and I would like to know if I can just as easily pick up 32"s and get the same great fit (post altering) as the 30"s, for a reasonable cost and without weird or 'almost right' results.

thanks.

good luck trying to get that alteration for $15. having that much taken in at the back shifts the balance of the trousers. not good.
get the right size.
some manufacturers make their suit models in athletic sizes. these are made with an 8 inch drop instead of a 6 inch. a size 38 then would have a 30 trouser.

uluvbs

Reaction score
Did you try Barneys?

Honestly, if you can afford to shop at NM, plus pay even small fees for tailoring, you should just go with MTM.

There is no way you are going to get the waist, seat, and legs altered in a competent manner for anywhere near $15. I really can't believe that's what's in the archives here. It is difficult work that will cost $50+, and even then, the results may not be what you had hoped.

lemonbishop

Reaction score
I did find a post that indicated they had this done for $15. I do think this sounds ridiculously cheap, and I would not expect it to cost that little.

The fact that most here think the 32" is a 'no go', and the sales guy at NM was of the 'no problem whatsoever', is he just trying to make a sale? This would seem quite short sighted; make the sale of a pair of pants, that are destined not to really work out, and loose a client forever. On the other hand, he could just say, I don't have any 30", I will call you when I do, or I will check the other stores.

thanks for the input

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in the same vein, if I get up to a size 40 jacket (I wear 30w), I will be screwed as far as OTR? This is a hard choice, work out to look better or don't work out to look better.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gain 5 lbs to a 30" true waist then alter to a 31, might require less pants surgery.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
So in the same vein, if I get up to a size 40 jacket (I wear 30w), I will be screwed as far as OTR? This is a hard choice, work out to look better or don't work out to look better.

No, find the cut of jacket that fits you best, and have the pants recut.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
No, find the cut of jacket that fits you best, and have the pants recut.
... or buy separates.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other thing to remember is that bespoke/MTM trousers are quite cost effective. I have bespoke trousers made by one excellent tailor (Sam Disano) for $200 AUD plus cost of cloth. Manton mentioned someone in NYC who makes them for about $200 USD. Will said on his blog that he gets his made MTM. I would suggest looking around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads