• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question of Savile Row, London

kevin9419

Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning to go to UK in July.
Are there anyone who have been to Savile Row, London?, the place full of suit tailor shops? I am planning to tailor a suit but not sure which shop to visit, since there are too many of them. I am in my 20s and would like to wear a suit that has a young and casual look. Also, Can I also purchase ready to wear casual clothes(such as shirts and jackets)there?? Finally, would it be fine to tailor a suit in summer??
I look forward to your response.
Thanks to everyone!

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevin9419
Hi,
I am planning to go to UK in July.
Are there anyone who have been to Savile Row, London?, the place full of suit tailor shops? I am planning to tailor a suit but not sure which shop to visit, since there are too many of them. I am in my 20s and would like to wear a suit that has a young and casual look. Also, Can I also purchase ready to wear casual clothes(such as shirts and jackets)there?? Finally, would it be fine to tailor a suit in summer??
I look forward to your response.
Thanks to everyone!

Do a search.

But in a gist, there's no real answer for you unless you tell us your price range, how long you'll be in England for, etc.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The short answer to your question is probably "no".

Unless you are going to stay for three or four months, you will have to come back several times for fittings. Saville Row is not Kowloon. They can't make you a suit in three days.

Some shops do carry RTW. But you might prefer to visit Jermyn Street, instead. Well, actually, you should definitely visit both!

Macallan

Reaction score
There are enough options of RTW on The Row, it depends on the style you are looking for. As for a casual bespoke look, you are probably better with a fashion-forward style, i.e. Boateng, Kilgour. As for time-frame, depending on how busy the tailors are at the time, they can complete a suit in within 2/3 weeks. In my opinion, from what you have said, you would be better of with RTW/MTM options then spending £2.5k and upwards on Savile Row bespoke.

mrbig

Reaction score
With all due respect, from your post it does not sound like you know the full story behind Savile Row.

The Gist:

You need time. 6-12 weeks should be planned. It's not Hong Kong or Singapore.
You need money - at least 2500 pounds for bespoke.
You need to know what you want - Do your research. An Anderson & Sheppard suit is quite different from one by Kilgour or Huntsman.
You need to know what Savile Row does - it doesn't really do "young & casual". Unless point #3 is well and truly taken care of and you find a house that fits your needs.

If you want 'casual' shirts and jackets - you're better off looking at department stores, Bond Street, Regent Street or Oxford Street.

Hope that helps.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.