• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: How exactly does one get "buns of steel" ?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, I never know how do people get tight, non-flabby glutes. I lift weights and cardio regularly, I'm 5'11 ish with a good weight of 160 lbs, I know its on the slim side but my physique is that of the distance runner. My fitness level is high (I scored a 90 out of 100 on a California fitness test) and my body fat is a mere 11.5%.

Yet ****** seem to just sag and not be as "toned" as I like. Any recommend workout plan.

I realize how shallow my post sounds.
devil.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lower body fat and squats/deadlift. Any kind of hip extension really. The more the knees are bent the more the glutes get used. I guess front squats work pretty well too.

Most runners have grandpa butt.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you said makes sense. I have been incoporating alot of forward + reverse lunges, leg press and front squats into weightlifting days and my lower body, especially thighs and glutes, have become quite "firmer".

Will polymetrics help as well too? I'm thinking of taking up mid-distance sprinting and the coach says polymetric training will be used.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most coaches don't have a clue about plyometrics...it sounds cool so they do it.

Glutes and hamstrings are all about hip extension. The more the hips are extended the harder they work. The more the knee is bent with the hips extended the harder the glutes work and the less the knee is bent the harder the hamstrings work.

It's pretty complex and hard to teach via the Internet but basically if you're doing mid-level sprinting and are serious about it plyometrics won't help you until you can put up some decent squat numbers.

Lunges are generally a waste because the hips don't extend enough and the quadriceps are used too much. Most runners also overly use their quads and lunges reinforce bad habits. They're pretty non-functional as well.

aleeboy

Reaction score
The squat used to be m favourite exercise, followed by dead lifts and its variations. My girl thinks I used to be an African woman because it sticks out. I would say that the king dead lift would hit the glutes very hard. Try 'em out.

I can't squat or deadlift anymore... due to back problems. Hip extensions are taxing on the lower back, so if you have probs, go with the king dead lift.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Squats with or with out weights. Also, try roller blading or ice hockey. You'll have an ass of steel.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
What about squatting with no weights? Quite effective.
No it isn't. It's mostly quadriceps since for the hip extensors to be loaded the resistance needs to be on the lever arm away from the fulcrum (hip). In other words, it needs to be on your back somewhere (or borne by the back like in the deadlift). With no weight there's no real resistance to press against.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
No it isn't. It's mostly quadriceps since for the hip extensors to be loaded the resistance needs to be on the level arm away from the fulcrum (hip). In other words, it needs to be on your back somewhere (or borne by the back like in the deadlift). With no weight there's no real resistance to press against.
Bullshit... Spoken like someone who's never done them. Go do 100 and tell me how your ass feels. Actually, nevermind as I'll bet you can't get past 25 reps.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
watch lots of weird videos

wiscogooner

Reaction score
+1 for squats & deads. and lunges will help but they work the minimus muscles primarily. form is so important for squats.

Delirium1

Reaction score
Deep squats, deadlift, GHR, and short distance sprinting.

Try doing a a few sets of bridges or fire hydrant circles before your workout to activate your glutes.

lizmasc

Reaction score
You don't need to be lower body fat, you're already lower body fat, don't go that way, there are plenty of strongmen with titanium glutes. Get on a routine that has squats in it, and do them well and in proper form and technique and after a couple of months you'll be there. Refer to Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Stuart McRobert's Beyong Brawl (Rippetoe's book may overtrain you) for proper squat technique
smile.gif
smiley2.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno. I've been doing a lot of squats and deads, and my glutes have definitely gotten larger, but it's still all about your BF levels. I store my fat in my lower back and ass. Not that I mind having a bigger butt for a slim guy. But it's not just about doing the exercises.

FWIW, the exercise that I felt engaged the butt muscles the most, aside from h0m0sex, is the stiff-legged deadlift, if done correctly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads