• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: how can I turn these clothes into an outfit?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking for a short while, great forum. I've been learning plenty just from browsing past threads, but I'm still a relative newcomer to the style scene and not yet familiar with most of the 'rules' that govern it.

I was given the shirt, tie, and pants below as a gift this October and while I quite like them, I'm not sure how I can turn them into a proper ensemble. Can you give me advice on what colour of jacket/coat, belt, shoes (and possibly socks) would go with what I'm wearing? Or, can you suggest other outfits that any of these items might look good with individually?

Thanks a lot.

Full body shot. Sorry for the blurriness but my camera is garbage. Pants are a rich brown (not sure what the technical term is), shirt is white with blue stripes, tie is brown with white and blue squares overtop of a diagonal pattern.
fullbodytv0.jpg

Closeup of shirt and tie.
tieandchestbw0.jpg

Closeup of pants. It has a subtle thatching (?) pattern in it and a slight sheen. 100% cotton. Again, sorry for blurriness.
pantsfg8.jpg

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I'm sure the forum will castigate me for this. Shirt: Hudson Room Tie: Arrow Pants: Dockers No Brioni or whatever in sight.
confused.gif
But I still think everything looks good, I'm just at a loss as to how to wear it.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics with cleaned room please.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy blue blazer is almost always a safe choice.

Shoes should be a similar shade as the belt, and in this case, brown would probably be a good choice.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
the pants and tie can be worn with a nice button down pink shirt. brown generally goes well with pink. the shirt is pretty versatile. you could wear it with a nice set of jeans (neither skinny leg nor baggy and definitely not "overdistressed" style jeans) and a nice thin brown vneck pullover. it would also go well with a forrest green or purple vneck as shown here: http://rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?prod...goryId=3372179 throw in a black bomber jacket and some nice kicks and it'll look pretty dope.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Who are the makers for each item?

You only feel qualified to offer advice when you know who made each item?

Now I wish the OP had lied about the brands...just to hear your sage advice.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone, you've given me some good ideas. Incidentally, what do people think of wearing a crew neck sweater over a collared shirt instead of a v-neck?

Zenny: True, true.
frown.gif

Gorgekko: I was considering pointing out that brand was irrelevant, but felt like I might be violating some deeply-held forum etiquette.
lookaround.gif
Ah well, it's only my dignity, right?
tounge.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignore any sort of judgement (or popcorn)

Everyone has to start somewhere and you seem forthright and willing to try and figure things out. It all seems to fit well enough and the tie puts out a good knot. I also quite like the collar on the shirt.

To pull all of this together a navy blazer as mr. quik said would be the quickest clean up of the outfit. And belts, shoes etc... should be done in shades of brown.

As for the sweater, a crew neck would be fine, but personally I would prefer a v-neck every time if I had the choice.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a more casual look, I'd say a dark-brown or mid-grey tweedy herringbone jacket would work nicely. Nothing TOO rustic and heavy though. Navy socks. Shoes: brown, definitely, maybe with a nice texture. Linen square, maybe with a blue border.

Alternatively, for a sleeker look, croc or lizard loafers and a silk/cashmere mid-grey sport coat, perhaps with a subtle windowpane in a complementary colour (maybe a lilac, or a navy). Socks could match the windowpane colour, for a slightly more leery look. Silk pocket square for this combo I think, again complementing the pane and the shirt.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
A navy blue blazer is almost always a safe choice.

Shoes should be a similar shade as the belt, and in this case, brown would probably be a good choice.

+1

jag

Vince Lombardi's Ghost

Reaction score
You seem to be a fairly slim guy. Take the shirt and trousers and have a tailor take the sides of the shirt in and adjust the waist of the trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics