• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question from forum newbie regarding Italian shoes

james48

Reaction score
wow those are hot! im going to stop by this week to see if i can find them - any idea on the price range?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Italian shoes are in the price range of AE's with similar quality?

rbjones

Reaction score
I am obsessed with Tod's drivers (gommini mocs)

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978
What Italian shoes are in the price range of AE's with similar quality?

The mid-range Italian shoes that would rival AE, from a quality standpoint, though blake rather than goodyear constructed, include Martegani, Gravati ($4-500ish), Santoni Classico ($400ish), Ferragamo Lavorizione Originale ($400-500), Peluso Napoli ($400ish for goodyear models), and some Lorenzo Banfi ($400ish stocked by Barney's new York). I included a few of the more expensive Italians because their distribution, depending on the city, is usually accessible and the sheer number of Italian shoes encourages discounts and end of the season closeouts. If we use the $200 metric for discounted AE shoes, Sak's and Nordie's usually offers 'Gamos and other Italians at their outlets or semi annual sales.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailorrmade
Christofuh, who makes the brown shoe in the very first picture you posted and where can i get that?!!!

Cristofuh, who makes the girl in your avatar and where can I get that!!! Maybe the best yet.

james48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Santoni does. Try their Manhattan location.

tried - they werent too helpful tell you the truth. Any chance you can give some more info on them? price/model? thanks

Alan B.

Reaction score
Italian shoes ******** appeal whereas Alden and A-E are just standard business wear. This doesn't hold true in all cases, but the Italians sure have a step up on the English and American shoe designs. Many Italian shoe designs miss the mark, yet they are willing to take a chance.

Last year I bought a pair of Alden flex-welt loafers and was very disappointed. Well-made but boring. Same with the pair of A-E Randolphs. Solid but dull. Give me a pair of Santonis, Braganos or Zellis anyday.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Like others have said, Gucci and Prada don't get a lot of love, but other Italian brands do. My personal favorite shoe line is the Ferragamo Tramezza line. I'll take a pair of Tramezzas over Crockett & Jones, John Lobb or Edward Green any day (in fact, today I'm wearing a pair of SF Tramezza Fervido bit loafers).

I don't think it's good advice to recommend the English brands to someone looking for Italian styling, and the price of Kitons just blows the mind. If you like Italian styling, but want high quality, you can't go wrong with SF Tramezza or Santoni (ever since I acquired a pair of Santoni Brendens, I've been thirsting for more Santoni - I love the fit and feel).

But, above all else, you have to do what's right for you. If you feel that Gucci and Prada are more "you" than any of the brands we recommended, then in my opinion, you should try to avoid fallling into the "groupthink" or "forumthink" that abounds around here and you should stick with what you like. As long as you know all the facts (i.e., that the quality to price ration is not that great), there's nothing wrong with liking brands like Prada or Gucci.

I think this is one of the best posts on this topic I have read in some time, and I am not just saying that because of my own Ferragamo worship.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members