• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Traders and IBankers (suspenders)

urymoto

Reaction score
hi all,

im in my late 20`s and i work in the field. NOBODY in my office wears suspenders, but i want to take the plunge...i mean, you gotta admit, Bateman looked amazing in them!
Is this still appropirate in the office/trading floor, is this a long gone fashion relic?

thanks

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If as would be likely you are a junior employee - test the water one day a week with one suit properly cut with fish tail back trousers.

If they are received OK and when people have become used to the idea go for more. They would be likely to be misunderstood. However if it is an old family firm and you are the son of the Chairman then such perceived eccentricities are fine.

emc894

Reaction score
You will probably get a lot of **** for it.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wait till your proverbial dick is big and swingin' before becoming a sartorial eccentric. Just my 2 pennies.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
You will probably get a lot of **** for it.

Agree...I wouldn't try that look if I was anywhere South of M.D.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
traders and I-bankers dress far differently in my opinion. Traders are lucky if they get their shirt tucked in properly and a tie within 6" of their necks. If you wore suspenders on some of the trading floors I've been on, you would be abused mercilessly.

Bankers tend to be a little more together. I'm still not 100% sure I'd give it a go, but if you're a cocky sumbitch and confident enough to try it, try it.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color suspenders werre you thinking of?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the general culture like around the office? I've visited banks where even the really senior guys look as though they just ordered all their clothes from the Brooks Brothers catalog so they wouldn't have to think about shopping with the 5 hours a year they're not working. If that's the case, being a jr. guy coming in with "**** you" suits and accessories would be in very poor taste.

Also, if you're planning to keep your jacket on, who cares.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Trading and banking are two different worlds. Are you actually in the industry? I would think you'd ask specifically regarding either banking OR trading since you'd know the vast differences.

Anyway, I work in trading. 100% chance you'd get made fun of mercilessly. Difference being if you're senior, you deal with it; if you're junior, don't be surprised if people took enough "offense" that it affects you career prospects for being a joker by wearing braces.

In banking, a very senior guy can wear it fine. A junior guy will be written off.

Ask yourself... Are you seriously willing to be dismissed for trying to be like a movie character. Sometimes peolple won't say a word. They'll just be rubbed the wrong way.

rboat

Reaction score
If you are in IBD there is a reason no one wears them. Wait till you are a bsd to start with the suspenders.

HKTenor

Reaction score
Most of the "don't wear 'X' until you are senior" thread advice is hysterically misguided in my experience (bulge bracket US IBs, from associate to MD; now at hedge fund). I wore braces before, all during, and after that experience, and no one ever batted an eyelash, except to ask me where they should buy clothes or who my tailor was.

You could (and can) frequently find me in a three-piece suit, and always a pocket square. No one would ever mistake me for a fashion model, but to be quietly well-dressed is always appropriate, and any of the foregoing can fit into that category. Study Manton's threads if you want to see the variety which can come under the most severe interpretation of conservative business dress.

Of course, the degree of difficulty rises with each additional item, so if you aren't confident that you can pull it off well then omit all the frills and go for the standard Brooks look. And for God's sake don't try to add to your wardrobe everything you've seen on SF at once, because you stand a very high chance of doing it badly and looking like an unintentional rube or douchebag. This is true everywhere, and no matter how "senior" you are. The only difference is that if you are the boss no one will say anything to your face.

Oh, and if you are on a trading floor you will get the piss taken out of you for something no matter what. It might as well be your braces as your haircut, glasses, voice, girlfriend, or taste in beer.

One man's opinion, of course.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HKTenor
Most of the "don't wear 'X' until you are senior" thread advice is hysterically misguided in my experience (bulge bracket US IBs, from associate to MD; now at hedge fund). I wore braces before, all during, and after that experience, and no one ever batted an eyelash, except to ask me where they should buy clothes or who my tailor was.

But grandpa, you were an analyst many moons ago!! Kidding of course, but I had to take a shot on behalf of your former analysts.
I was an analyst till last year and I think in most groups, suspenders would get a bit of crap. My group was different, could pull it off. I think it also depends on whether you always dressed well and decided to add a suspender versus making a big jump one day, which makes it look costume-y.

This is IBD, won't comment on trading.

urymoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
traders and I-bankers dress far differently in my opinion. Traders are lucky if they get their shirt tucked in properly and a tie within 6" of their necks. If you wore suspenders on some of the trading floors I've been on, you would be abused mercilessly.

Bankers tend to be a little more together. I'm still not 100% sure I'd give it a go, but if you're a cocky sumbitch and confident enough to try it, try it.

im not on a jock cash equity or bond floor. its geeks...but im not one...

anyway, you guys are right...south of md is a no go...thanks...wishful thinking

urymoto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
Trading and banking are two different worlds. Are you actually in the industry? I would think you'd ask specifically regarding either banking OR trading since you'd know the vast differences. Anyway, I work in trading. 100% chance you'd get made fun of mercilessly. Difference being if you're senior, you deal with it; if you're junior, don't be surprised if people took enough "offense" that it affects you career prospects for being a joker by wearing braces. In banking, a very senior guy can wear it fine. A junior guy will be written off. Ask yourself... Are you seriously willing to be dismissed for trying to be like a movie character. Sometimes peolple won't say a word. They'll just be rubbed the wrong way.
i am in the industry, i wanna keep it anonymous....my location is a small market so im keeping it vague, ib trading....who cares Where we are, most ppl dress well. Its not like the states. I guess i was wondering if the suspenders thing was totally dead....

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. You'll most certainly be known as the suspender guy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads