• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for the shoe mavens.

CutandSew

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question for all the shoe lovers out there, bespoke or otherwise: are any of you familiar with the Saruwaka Footwear College in Japan, or the Cordwainers College at the London College of Fashion? I couldn't find much info on either one here and I'm just wondering if anyone has any in depth knowledge about both schools, especially regarding the quality of education with respect to the skills taught. Basically, I'm just wondering if after attend such institutions, will one be able to do what Delos, Gaziano or Suzuki are able to do, or is it all just a waste of tuition money and b***sh*t anyways. Thanks!

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cordwainers College London

Aquaintance go there long time ago.
He say course is basic shoe making,
and better learn off real maker.
Course not enough on it own.

CutandSew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
Cordwainers College London

Aquaintance go there long time ago.
He say course is basic shoe making,
and better learn off real maker.
Course not enough on it own.

Thanks!!!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CutandSew
Hi, I have a question for all the shoe lovers out there, bespoke or otherwise: are any of you familiar with the Saruwaka Footwear College in Japan, or the Cordwainers College at the London College of Fashion? I couldn't find much info on either one here and I'm just wondering if anyone has any in depth knowledge about both schools, especially regarding the quality of education with respect to the skills taught. Basically, I'm just wondering if after attend such institutions, will one be able to do what Delos, Gaziano or Suzuki are able to do, or is it all just a waste of tuition money and b***sh*t anyways. Thanks!

You won't be able to do what Delos, Gaziano or Suzuki do from just taking a class, no matter how amazing the instructors and the syllabus. What a course can do for you is to give you a foundation that you could then leverage into an apprenticeship with one of the masters. After a period of apprenticeship, followed by many, many years of experience, you may be able to do what they do.

You might also look into Marcel's classes, he teaches in Budapest and NYC, and is a frequent posted here (search FOR MarcelLHUN).

CutandSew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
You won't be able to do what Delos, Gaziano or Suzuki do from just taking a class, no matter how amazing the instructors and the syllabus. What a course can do for you is to give you a foundation that you could then leverage into an apprenticeship with one of the masters. After a period of apprenticeship, followed by many, many years of experience, you may be able to do what they do.

You might also look into Marcel's classes, he teaches in Budapest and NYC, and is a frequent posted here (search FOR MarcelLHUN).

Thanks, that's what I figured. With the heavy and long time commitment required to obtain those skills, I can see why there are not more craftsmen around. Spending a couple years in graduate school would be seen as more rewarding financially instead of learning a craft for many kids. I've looked into Marcel's classes, but they're a bit pricey at about $2,200 usd/month, especially if I want to do it for say at least two years. Maybe I should just listen to my folks and look into law school instead.
confused.gif

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CutandSew

I used to live 20 minutes away from the Saruwaka Footwear College in Tokyo. I visited several times. They had a Sunday experiential course that I considered attending, but in the end, I decided not to. I also looked into their two year course. I do believe that the graduates receive the best formal education in shoe making offered in Japan, but that additional training and practice would be necessary to be a Delos, Gaziano, or Suzuki.

The first year of the two year course has class Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 10 am to 6 pm. Students spend additional time in the workshop working on their projects and perfecting their technique. The second year has class on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday during the same hours.

On March 15, they held an exhibition in which pieces made by graduates were displayed. You may see photos of newly graduated students' work here and make your own judgment about their skills.

If you are serious, you should think about things like the language barrier. It isn't impossible to learn in a foreign language. Koji Suzuki had to study Italian when he went to Italy, but it is a barrier.

Bic

CutandSew

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Some of the students' pieces are quite exceptional.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics