• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for the modern man. Wearing a pocket square to a final interview.

Conanzulu

Reaction score
In about a week, I have a final interview with a CIO of a company that I am dying to get hired with currently. In the past, I have avoided wearing cuffs and pocket squares. Ok to be honest, I've never wore a pocket square. Recently I got a really nice one along with a new silk tie that I'm dying to wear. Here is my dilemma, I'm scared that i might get labeled somehow by this person if I do. So the obvious decision would be not to wear it but I can't help but wonder if I'm over thinking. I noticed there was an older thread about this from a few years ago that did not conclude to a universal answer.

Anyway, opinions?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's not a garish one, go for it. This forum can get carried away by groupthink and the application of "rules." If you feel confident in it and it looks okay/professional, it's going to show in your interview.

My big word of caution to you is that since you've never worn a square before, a very real possibility exists of you fiddling with it and worrying more about it than the conversation.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may very possibly be over-thinking the matter. Then again, you may well get labeled by your interviewer.

But the one thing which is certain is that without knowing relevant details about the company, its location, how people dress there, the specific job you want, and your interviewer(s), it's virtually impossible to meaningfully answer your "Okay to wear a pocket square?" question.

Still, just as a general piece of advice, I'd submit that a final interview for a job you want is probably not the ideal situation for also experimenting with new ways of presenting yourself. If you've never worn a pocket square, don't try it for the first time at your interview. If you've never worn contact lenses, don't wear them for the first time at your interview. If you've never shaved with a straight razor before, don't make your first time the morning of your big interview. Etc.

I'm not suggesting that wearing a pocket square is some Great Decision, which requires months of deliberation. Plenty of men (and I'm one of them) wear pocket squares routinely, and have for many years. But if you've never worn one before, you're going to be fretting over things like whether it's folded (or stuffed) correctly. Whether the points (if any) are flopping. Why the square keeps slipping into your pocket (not uncommon for a silk square which is folded). Whether your interviewer is staring at your pocket square. And so forth.

A big interview is likely stressful enough, in and of itself. Don't go adding additional largely unnecessary uncertainties to the experience.

BTW, since you mention that you recently received a really nice pocket square along with a new silk tie, I have to ask - are the tie and pocket square a matched set? You know, identical color, pattern, and so forth? Because the matching (as opposed to compatible) tie and pocket square look gets relatively little love here on SF.

But to get back to my first and most significant point, you're probably over-thinking it. Just as I've provided you with an over-thought response.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't wear it. Get the job and then rock it to your heart's content.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In about a week, I have a final interview with a CIO of a company that I am dying to get hired with currently.  In the past, I have avoided wearing cuffs and pocket squares.   Ok to be honest, I've never wore a pocket square.  Recently I got a really nice one along with a new silk tie that I'm dying to wear.  Here is my dilemma, I'm scared that i might get labeled somehow by this person if I do.  So the obvious decision would be not to wear it but I can't help but wonder if I'm over thinking.  I noticed there was an older thread about this from a few years ago that did not conclude to a universal answer.  
Anyway, opinions? 
While I would prefer candidates not to wear any Psquares, focus on your interview. We had a candidate couple weeks ago wearing a matching Purple Tie/Square and a full Windsor knot. Terrible.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't normally wear one, then don't for this interview. You will be self conscious and probably fiddle with it at the interview.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A white handkerchief conservatively folded
can't hurt. Matching tie square combinations
violate the SF paradigm.

CraigC

Reaction score

While I would prefer candidates not to wear any Psquares, focus on your interview. We had a candidate couple weeks ago wearing a matching Purple Tie/Square and a full Windsor knot. Terrible.

A Windsor knot is totally appropriate for an interview and imho much better looking than unbalanced school boy knots provided it is worn with an appropriate spread collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads