1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Question for the Architects/Builders in the house.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by matadorpoeta, Oct 14, 2010.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Are there any books or websites that can help me determine what something would cost to build so I don't have to get an estimate from an architect?

I don't know anything about construction and wouldn't know how to use any software that an architect or builder would use.

Someone told me to just find something comparable and then find out how much it cost to build. Not only can I not find anything comparable (so far) but I wouldn't know how to find out what it cost to build. I would need to know the cost without taking into account the price of land.

Any advice? Thanks.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I imagine it would be tough to find a building exactly the way you want to build it. Are you just talking the basic outside structure or everything inside as well?

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

http://www.building-cost.net/ Click on "start calculator" I did a sample and it seemed fairly accurate. Some things like frostline and humidity levels will affect the cost depending on how you treat them, but it's better than nothing.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Thanks guys. Ideally I'd like to find something comparable in terms of what's inside as well.

I'm looking at doing a a commercial building, like a resort spa/hotel type of place. (I'm talking full on marble everywhere, the finest fixtures, like a palace.)

So I'd like to find something ultra luxurious, that was built recently, find out what it cost to build per square foot, and then translate that to the size of what I want to build. Is that doable? Advisable?

Stephen, would the calculator you linked to get me anywhere close? What if I just double or triple what the calculator gives me?

Thanks.

5. jefe

jefe Senior member

$400-500 psf will get you a pretty damn nice place, depending on market, mechanical/electrical/plumbing needs.