• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Photography experts

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coburn
Now, about cameras, what would you recommend if I stepped up from a pocket camera?
I take pictures indoors and outdoors but rarely do 'action' shots.

I'm pretty satisfied with my new Canon S90. It's still a pocket camera but it has full manual controls as well. As you don't do action shots and if you like the portability, it might be something for you. There are a several reviews of it on the net if you want to check it out.

But if better image quality is more important than portability to you, an entry level DSLR will get you that for the same price or slightly more.

Btw, one of the things that persuaded me to get the S90 was this thread @ DPreview. Obviously a DSLR would have performed better, but I think the results ares very impressive for such a small camera, especially considering the mixed lighting conditions.

DandySF

Reaction score
I use a Canon Rebel when I feel like carrying a larger SLR. For every day use I carry the brand new Canon S90, which I'm still learning to use. I'd recommend either of these for general use. All of the pictures on my blog were done with the SLR, with the exception of the winter trees photo, which was done with the S90.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
A slave flash won't work with a point and shoot. The camera has to communicate with the unit somehow and it just isn't an option with these cameras. A good starting point for a better camera would be the entry level Nikon, Cannon or Sony DSLRs. They're all good so it would be a matter of personal preference. I use the Sony Alpha series and own a 200 and 700 and I have access to the 900 and any of the lenses in the line. Back in the day when I shot film and infrared slides I used Canon equipment exclusively. I've shot pics with several models from the other two companies and would use any of them if my cameras get wrecked or stolen.

There are many slave flash units that have a sensor, that do not need to be hooked up to the camera in any way. Amazon sells a few for under $20.

The main problem with P&S cameras and slaves is preflash. Many P&S preflash for white balance, and focus etc, then fire the main flash. This causes the slave to fire early.

Wein makes sensors that plug into a flash unit, that will allow just about any of them to work as a standalone slave. They are fantastic products if you haven't tried them.

Pengranger

Reaction score
I agree with most of the comments in this thread. You may also find the advice of Ken Rockwell useful regarding the use of wide angle lenses, especially useful kenrockwell.com. Sometimes the "wide effect" can be put to good use.

The other way of dealing with the problem is Photoshop. I've removed most of the impact in the photo below.

IMG_0548a.jpg

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
A slave flash won't work with a point and shoot.
This is not necessarily true-- there are cheap slaves that are triggered by light from the master slave. Very common-- as a matter of fact, this type has been widely available for decades-- prior to radio and infrared triggered devices. All you have to do is disable the preflash if possible... Even my studio strobes can be set to be triggered by the flash output from an on camera flash. HOWEVER... depending on the point and shoot, you may have trouble dialing in a perfect exposure...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
This is not necessarily true-- there are cheap slaves that are triggered by light from the master slave. Very common-- as a matter of fact, this type has been widely available for decades-- prior to radio and infrared triggered devices. All you have to do is disable the preflash if possible...

Even my studio strobes can be set to be triggered by the flash output from an on camera flash.

HOWEVER... depending on the point and shoot, you may have trouble dialing in a perfect exposure...

I'll agree with you on this. My comment was based on a practical standpoint and what i think is the OP's level of photographic experience.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are intermediate levels of camera that are above the P&S but are not a DSLR. I shoot a Nikon D200 most days but have one of the smaller intermediate cameras with me most times, A Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3. It has a hotshoe for a fullsize flash, and a lens that goes down to f/2. The Canon G10 is also in this class, as are competing models from Nikon and Olympus. I would strongly urge you to go to www.dpreview.com . The hard thing about recommending a camera to anyone is that no camera does everything well. You need to match the strengths and weaknesses of the system to your shooting style. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads