• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for People that have ordered shirts from Lands End

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When they ask you: "When wearing dress shirts how do they typically fit you in the chest and shoulders?" Do you answer how you *want* the shirt that you are ordering from them to fit or do you answer how RTW shirts fit you? I'm not quite sure what they're getting at with this question.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
When they ask you: "When wearing dress shirts how do they typically fit you in the chest and shoulders?" Do you answer how you *want* the shirt that you are ordering from them to fit or do you answer how RTW shirts fit you? I'm not quite sure what they're getting at with this question.

My understanding is that this is a question pertaining to the shirts you choose to buy - preferred fit. You can get slim shirts from them, I have a few but it may take a few tries - keep reducing the width. I am happy with the fit I can currently get but it took some iterations.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I want to get a couple of workhorse shirts from them that I can wear while I'm still losing weight before I spend a lot of money on nicer shirts. It's pretty cool because you can return the shirts if they don't fit well. Well, I ordered my first shirt and tried to adjust my answers to some of their questions so as to get a slimmer fitting shirt, so we'll see what happens.

alflauren

Reaction score
I almost asked this same question here a couple of months ago, but came to the same conclusion as skalogre. I think they need to assume that people who order custom shirts don't like the way that their shirts currently fit. Either that, or rephrase the question altogether.

That said, I was rather pleased with the fit I got the first time. The fabric was crap, but I also chose one of the cheapest fabrics just to see how the shirt would come out. I'm waiting for my second order. The only bummer is that I'm in Wisconsin, so I have to pay tax.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, how often do they get new fabrics in to choose from?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice they usually get new fabrics once a quarter. The pincord blazer material is amazing. If you can do a dark pink, get it. I was stunned at how nice the fabric is.

I think they are asking how you would like it to fit.

Financier

Reaction score
I've ordered 4 or 5 shirts from them, and my assumption was that the question was how to RTW shirts fit you, so that they could ajust the shirt you're ordering.

for what it's worth, I was able to get the exact fit I wanted on the 2nd shirt.

Patrick06790

Reaction score
I just got my first two and they fit fine.

They're not going to win any awards but they look good and don't break the bank.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the bottom line is to expect a few iterations before you get your size correct. I actually measured my first LE shirt, measured a shirt that fits me very well, then specified changes to the LE shirt to move it toward the one that fits well. I'm awaiting the results right now.

My main complaint about the LE custom program is the fabrics. The selection is very limited, especially the selection of patterned fabrics.

boston

Reaction score
I am a big fan of lands end custom shirts. It's true it may take you a couple of goes to get them perfect, but I think they are very good value.

They come up with new material every quarter or so. Near the end of the quarter their options become quite limited.

Also, after you have ordered a shirt, you can tweak the dimensions on the *re-order*. I've had much better luck with tweaking the re-order dimensions (which are very straightforward) than the confusing pre-order "how do your shirts fit you now".

I would also recommend simply emailing/calling them and *asking*. They are very helpful over the phone/email.

-boston

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I recall, they also offered more dimensions to tweak on the "re-order" than I was allowed to specify on the initial order.

Financier

Reaction score
Agreed the ability to tweak your second order upteen different ways is what resulted in a great fitting shirt on the second order, as opposed to a slightly better than RTW shirt on the first order.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Have any of you ordered pants through their custom program?

No, I'm an easy fit when it comes to pants (assuming a company carries 36" inseams and LE does); an impossible fit for RTW shirts (and jackets).

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Have any of you ordered pants through their custom program?

I was looking at that yesterday... the fabric/pattern choices are really limited unfortunately. I would love to get some semi casual wool/gabardine trousers with maybe a nice windowpane that fits slim but no such luck
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads